Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla discontinued the "original" MY SR in February 2021 (at least in the U.S.), although it was still available "off menu" for a while. It had initially carried a base price of $41,990, then Tesla lowered it to $39,990 and shortly after that it was discontinued.

A new 2023 MY SR is available "off menu" with a base price of $50,990. Unlike the 2021 model which was RWD, this version is dual motor AWD. Since Tesla doesn't post all of its new inventory online, anyone interested in a vehicle like this may want to talk their local sales advisor regarding potential availability. The SR's range estimate is 279 miles compared to 330 miles for the LR.

I remember buying my SR 3 "off menu". Store in AZ denied SR Y's existence on Sun. I guess I got the wrong rep. Not worth the range/$ gain unless they bring back the base price of $41,990 or even $39,990 (any lucky unicorns who actually bought? !)

Will other EV makers catch up with Telsa? Tesla is showing to the world right now they can lower their prices by a lot because of their efficiency (mega mold, simplicit dash layout, no dealership, no advertising, etc, etc..) not to mention their tech which is still further along than any other company.
I agree for the most part. I am a never say never kind of person so when I think will the legacy automakers catch up from a tech standpoint, I think so. However, they'll never be as agile as Tesla and I know it scares the hell out of them.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The price was $100 bucks and because the price is now $80 bucks people won't buy. Only time will tell. I don't know if its really true but Electric Viking reported that sales went through the roof with price reductions in China.
Well, I am talking about people that just got burned, not new customers. But, yes, you are correct, there are many others out there: I just read sales are thru the roof here as well.

Reactions: zoomer0056

For all 2022 buyers, this is a petition for Tesla to add FREE FSD OR FREE SC. We have paid andf waited the most and it is only fair to get a perk back from Tesla.
I’d take FUSC. Way more value potential than FSD to me personally.

Reactions: Georgez
You purchased an item because you felt that the price was acceptable for what you were getting in return. This hasn't changed. Save for a few unique and rare outliers, cars depreciate at massive chunks each month. Moreso when they are brand new. This is a known quantity and why people who's goal is financial independence stay away from buying new. Some depreciate at different rates but depreciate they all do.

People need to chillax about the price roller coaster. This is nothing new, especially with Tesla. You knew this when you bought in and nobody forced you to buy anything. The prices go up, the prices go down. The clock turns and time marches on.

Your purchase gives you all of zero right to any perceived depreciation rate. It's silly to think that you have some sort of claim to your car being worth anything at any point after you take delivery. It's unreasonable and Tesla doesn't care anymore than Ford, Chevy or Toyota. The only difference is that Tesla is smaller and isn't quite as insulation from these swings as the larger legacy manufacturers but they also have had massive price swings lately. We will likely see those prices come down too once they get their inventory of raw materials and supply fully restocked. Since they're larger, these changes take longer and sometimes aren't as big. Nature of the beast.

Ignoring the outside forces such as inflation and supply line issues that directly impact these figures isn't doing anyone any good either. Eggs are $7 per dozen and out-of-stock. A few months back I could get a frunk full of eggs w/o even putting a dent in what was on the shelves @ $2 per dozen. You bought a car for transportation and enjoyment so use it for those things. When the time comes to get something else is when you'll realize whatever financial impact it brings to sell. If that seems uncomfortable, it should. The time to avoid that volatility was when you made the decision to buy when you still had control... not after.
I’m exploring giving mine up. I can come out next positive by defaulting my loan and buying a new one with cash with tax credit. I don’t care about my credit score for at least next 5-7 years. This is definitely a dirty move uncommon in the auto industry. But hey, it’s free market and they can do whatever the heck they want. But I ain’t buying another Tesla. It’s free market. You pull a shitty move like this and you pay for it with less consumer confidence and brand value decrease.

I’m exploring giving mine up. I can come out next positive by defaulting my loan and buying a new one with cash with tax credit. I don’t care about my credit score for at least next 5-7 years. This is definitely a dirty move uncommon in the auto industry. But hey, it’s free market and they can do whatever the heck they want. But I ain’t buying another Tesla. It’s free market. You pull a shitty move like this and you pay for it with less consumer confidence and brand value decrease.

people did that with houses. You will be among the first with a car. ;)

Please do let us know if you move forward with this plan. I’ve never heard of anyone selling a car due to being underwater on the loan. Would love to be able to tell for sure that this does happen.

Reactions: vickh
Please do let us know if you move forward with this plan. I’ve never heard of anyone selling a car due to being underwater on the loan. Would love to be able to tell for sure that this does happen.

it's all about expectations. . But most cars you're underwater on the loan when you drive off lot. I think this guy is just fuming b/c TSLA is not budging on refunds like F

Funny he thinks a repo will hurt TSLA. They got their money from bank. It only hurts his credit and benefits the new buyer. Just like my neighbors did during the crises

Also does not hurt the brand. TSLA is up like 80% from Jan low,since announcing the cuts and sales are thru the roof!

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
How is the price drop any different than automakers offering sales incentives for certain models? I can definitely understand the frustration, but this type of thing has been happening for decades. A few years ago it was common to get $8-10k incentives off the MSRP of certain truck models. This had the same effect on the used market as reducing the MSRP... if anything Tesla is being transparent about the price cuts instead of disguising it via incentives and subsidized 0% APR financing arrangements.

Reactions: sleepydoc
How is the price drop any different than automakers offering sales incentives for certain models? I can definitely understand the frustration, but this type of thing has been happening for decades. A few years ago it was common to get $8-10k incentives off the MSRP of certain truck models. This had the same effect on the used market as reducing the MSRP... if anything Tesla is being transparent about the price cuts instead of disguising it via incentives and subsidized 0% APR financing arrangements.

Correct. subsidized 0% APR financing arrangements esp these days cost a lot. I prefer cash discounts but with traditional dealers they make commision on that too, so I jump thru that hoop as well. Cash is a 4 letter word with some dealers.

How is the price drop any different than automakers offering sales incentives for certain models? I can definitely understand the frustration, but this type of thing has been happening for decades. A few years ago it was common to get $8-10k incentives off the MSRP of certain truck models. This had the same effect on the used market as reducing the MSRP...

It is pretty similar. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Tesla actually did offer a $5k refund (or free supercharging) to early buyers back in 2018 after they made the "Performance Upgrade Package" on the M3 standard. It had been a $5k option.

if anything Tesla is being transparent about the price cuts instead of disguising it via incentives and subsidized 0% APR financing arrangements.

How transparent Tesla is about pricing can be a bit debatable. One could argue that Tesla "hides" the pricing increases and decreases in the MSRP while other manufacturers (and their dealers) can show the markups or rebates separately from the MSRP.

For example;

Month #1
Tesla MSRP $90,000
Other brand MSRP $90,000

Month #2
Tesla MSRP $95,000
Other brand MSRP $90,000 plus $5,000 markup

Month #3
Tesla MSRP $90,000
Other brand MSRP $90,000

Month #4
Tesla MSRP $85,000
Other brand MSRP $90,000 less $5,000 rebate

Another difference in all of this is that Tesla owns its dealerships (it's both the manufacturer and the dealer) while other automakers typically have independently owned franchised dealerships.