Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Snow Storm coming in NE USA! What to Do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see anything in the manual about using WD-40 on the door handles. Pg 80 has tips for cold weather driving such as turning off auto-fold mirrors and putting the wipers in service mode. I will Google videos but let me know if you can tell me if it’s in the manual as well. Thanks.
Sorry, I thought I saw it in the manual but it’s on the Tesla site in the Support section for the model 3 (the Y hasn’t been added to it yet). Look for the article named, Applying WD-40 to Door Handle Pivot Pins.

Do It Yourself - Model 3

• Helpful
Reactions: NY_Rob
Turns out it was 8 inches heavy wet snow - exactly what they predicted wouldn't happen - lol. Both cars are happy as snowmen and ha won't even lost 1% overnight with 40moh gusts and wind chill in the teens. I would not have wanted that snow sitting on too if the charge port door (3/Y).

Most tips say to put wipers in “service mode” but my MS is equipped with heated wipers which I assume the heating element is by the wiper’s resting position; in this case do I disregard that tip since “service mode” moves the wipers up away from their resting position and the heating element?
The melting tends to lead to ice build up not touching the window enough to melt. Service mode would allow you to better sweep out that area.
The heater works but you still get ice chunks it can't melt in a reasonable time.

Turns out it was 8 inches heavy wet snow - exactly what they predicted wouldn't happen - lol. Both cars are happy as snowmen and ha won't even lost 1% overnight with 40moh gusts and wind chill in the teens. I would not have wanted that snow sitting on too if the charge port door (3/Y).
We were supposed to miss the majority of the storm or just get ice in this part of Ohio but ended up with 4 inches of wet snow. Perfect snowball snow for sure.

Heavy wet snow is exactly the kind that should have easily/quickly melted off the newly heated charge port. I'm curious to see if anyone reports on its performance.

Reactions: silverstoned83
We were supposed to miss the majority of the storm or just get ice in this part of Ohio but ended up with 4 inches of wet snow. Perfect snowball snow for sure.

Heavy wet snow is exactly the kind that should have easily/quickly melted off the newly heated charge port. I'm curious to see if anyone reports on its performance.
Well the snow, rain, snow, then drop into the teens turned everything into layers of ice. Preheated for 15 min and once I found them through the snow ice cake, had no trouble with handles, windows lowering, but hvac didn't break through the windshield snow or camera defroster. Rear defroster wasn't good and wondering if that isnt connected

Well the snow, rain, snow, then drop into the teens turned everything into layers of ice. Preheated for 15 min and once I found them through the snow ice cake, had no trouble with handles, windows lowering, but hvac didn't break through the windshield snow or camera defroster. Rear defroster wasn't good and wondering if that isnt connected
Curious about charge port specifically from a thawing standpoint. The rest of the thawing performance should be similar to older Model 3's, at least I'd hope the heat pump would get up to temperature at relatively the same speed as PTC did.

15 minutes preconditioning isn't long enough; more like 30 to 40 minutes is needed. Did you activate Max Defrost via the Tesla App? (You need to press the windshield defroster icon located in the bottom right corner of the Climate Control screen of the Tesla App (the icon changes from white to red.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with the car systems. I was testing the ability to get in the car which was always an issue with my MS at any duration of preconditioning. The 21 M3 with defrost ducts for handles and charge door worked great and gave no issues. The ultrasonics may be heated bc no false positives whereas our 20 Y did until clearing them. Still testing these scenarios. First real snowstorm in two years in SE MA.

Reactions: Koolio46