TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Big Storm coming...should I unplug?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by efusco, Dec 19, 2012.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

So there's a huge storm about to hit us (sat dish is already flickering) that has taken out power in several communities on it's run North and we have tornado watches and warnings in the area.

should I unplug the S or is it well enough protected?

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Yes. I don't think it's worth finding out how good the surge protection system is in the Model S.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wouldn't hurt. I normally don't think about it but since you did and if you have enough charge for the next day there is no harm in unplugging.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I always unplug in that situation. There's nothing to lose by unplugging.

5. efusco

Ok, unplugged. Thanks

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

As long as the storm doesn't last months (Antartica?). ;)

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Be sure to enable sleep mode. ;)

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I was just wondering about this the other day and am really surprised Tesla doesn't cover it in their way-too-brief manual. I wonder what their recommendation is?

Also surprised they don't mention that you can hold down the shifter button to E-brake to a stop.

Manual is woefully inadequate--but that's another topic.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Since there is no parking pawl in the gearbox, they use an electric parking brake to hold the car in place when parked. I assume pressing and holding the Park button simply activates this brake and does the same thing as pulling the hand brake on most other cars.

10. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I was told exactly that by my DS: holding the Park button activates the electric parking brake. He said it wouldn't be a panic stop, that you'd have time to steer to the side of the road as the car slows. I haven't tried it, myself.

11. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Even though I live in Florida, the lightning capitol, I had been procrastinating for a number of years in getting whole-house surge protection. :redface:

Getting the Model S finally motivated me. So when I had the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed I also had the electrician install whole-house surge protection. Of course this won't protect from a direct strike, so unplugging still makes sense, but I figure every bit of protection can't hurt especially if you're not around to disconnect the Model S.

Larry

12. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

I've thought about getting the same thing... then my neighbors house was struck by lightening (back in April). There wasn't a surge issue; his house literally burned to the ground. The only the thing that wasn't utterly destroyed was the garage. So, based on that I'm not going to worry about the surge protector so much as hope lightening doesn't strike two houses on the same street of only six houses!

And no, I'm not joking even a little - Fire Destroys Home in Northern Weston - Weston-Redding-Easton, CT Patch

13. TXjak

TXjak Owner/Investor/Advocate

When your electric vehicle is parked in your garage and is electrically damaged by lightning, which policy covers the damage?

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Vehicle Warrenty?

15. TXjak

TXjak Owner/Investor/Advocate

Nope. The warranty excludes it ...

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I would argue the warranty unless the lightning directly hit the car. It was a line surge that caused the damage, not specifically the lightning.

17. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and asked about it, because I was curious. Based upon his research, if your car were destroyed by lightning surges while charging at your home, it would most likely fall under the Comprehensive protections in the car policy.

...and I also asked the question -- if the lightning indirectly causes it, it's the same as a direct lightning strike.

18. efusco

I expect, at worst, it would blow out the charger (not the EVSE, though that might also be damaged), doubt major vehicle damage, though you never know I guess.

19. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Warranties are to protect you from Tesla doing something wrong and your car not working properly. An outside influence, such as a lightning strike, would and should not be covered by a warranty. How is it Tesla's fault that a bolt of lightning struck your car or your house causing a surge that damaged your car? That's why the warranty specifically mentions "acts of god."

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Isn't the car supposed to protect itself from line surges? It's an argument that could go either way!