Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Storm coming...should I unplug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've thought about getting the same thing... then my neighbors house was struck by lightening (back in April). There wasn't a surge issue; his house literally burned to the ground. The only the thing that wasn't utterly destroyed was the garage. So, based on that I'm not going to worry about the surge protector so much as hope lightening doesn't strike two houses on the same street of only six houses!

And no, I'm not joking even a little - Fire Destroys Home in Northern Weston - Weston-Redding-Easton, CT Patch

Hi Mike,

Although surge protection can't protect your equipment, or house for that matter, from a direct lightning strike that certainly doesn't invalidate its usefulness. Your equipment is much more likely to be damaged by surges created by nearby lightning strikes, or surges induced by utility switching equipment during storms, than by an actual direct lightning strike.

For a few hundred bucks whole-house surge protection seems to be a prudent investment particularly for those electronics in your home that can't conveniently be protected by point of use surge protection. Its simply an additional level of protection.

Larry

For what it's worth, I wondered about unplugging due to rain. For the next couple of weeks, I have to park the S in the driveway at times because my RAV4-EV has not been shipped to its new owner yet, and being kept out in the cold and wet can cause annoying problems.

The 14-50 in my garage is close enough to the garage door that I can plug the UMC in, run the cable under the door, and plug the S in. Reading the UMC manual, it specifically says that the car shouldn't be charged in heavy rain or snow, and that the UMC should be protected from wet conditions.

So I wrote to the Ownership address at Tesla to inquire about whether it was okay to charge the car outdoors in the rain if the UMC's wall connection and electronic box are protected.

The reply I got said that the main issues are related to water getting into the wall outlet, and that running the cord under the door and out to the car should be fine, even if it rains. I assumed that this was likely to be the case because obviously the car itself would have to be able to be charged at a public charger outdoors if it should happen to rain unexpectedly, but I wanted to check.

Here is an answer from USAA regarding damage by lightning:

We received your message regarding coverage for your vehicle.

Damage to your vehicle that is caused by lightening is covered under comprehensive coverage.

Comprehensive Coverage
Also referred to as Other Than Collision coverage, helps repair your vehicle from damage caused by risks such as theft, vandalism, wind & lightening and glass breakage.

Covered losses are subject to your policy deductible. Coverage descriptions are brief and subject to the terms and conditions of your policy. Please read your policy for details. Just select Auto Insurance Policy and click View My Documents.

It is important to note that a blanket coverage statement is not definitive and each claim is adjusted on its own merits at the time of the loss. Therefore, any change in circumstances can affect the outcome of the coverage decision.

Please respond to this message if you have additional questions about the coverage provided by your policy. If you need to file a new claim, please call us at 1-800-531-USAA (8722).

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
Stephen Rios
USAA

USAA means United Services Automobile Association and its affiliates.

Approaching storms, for those who watch the weather, are another reason that having an HPC is a good idea...in the two years that I've had my Roadster, I've unplugged a few dozen times to ensure my vehicle's safety...(but after filling the battery at 70 amp in short order so I had a full charge for the next day)...

Here is an answer from USAA regarding damage by lightning:

Be very careful with that interpretation. I work for an electric utility (been in the business for over 33 years) and in my experience, insurance companies treat power surges (even if caused by lightning) very differently from an actual lightning strike. We receive may dozens of claims from customers each summer storm season for surge damaged electronics that weren't covered by their insurance. (No EV's thus far, however).

A better question to ask is whether a power surge that damages the car is covered. Unfortunately, damaging power surges can be cause by a lot of things aside from lightning (utility switching, car-utility pole accidents and so forth).

Be very careful with that interpretation. I work for an electric utility (been in the business for over 33 years) and in my experience, insurance companies treat power surges (even if caused by lightning) very differently from an actual lightning strike. We receive may dozens of claims from customers each summer storm season for surge damaged electronics that weren't covered by their insurance. (No EV's thus far, however).

A better question to ask is whether a power surge that damages the car is covered. Unfortunately, damaging power surges can be cause by a lot of things aside from lightning (utility switching, car-utility pole accidents and so forth).

I asked that question and got the same answer: comprehensive auto insurance covers it. homeowners' insurance does not.

Figured it was worth resurrecting this thread with a timely story...

Couple hours ago we had lots of lightning so I unplugged the Roadster and Model S and turned off the fuses to the HPWC and UMC. Storm came and went all ok. Next I know us about 30mins ago lightning came out of nowhere, lights blipped, Monster in my home theatre turned off and a couple of fuses tripped. No problems but I sure am glad I'd left the cars unplugged; I think they would have been fine, but better safe than sorry.