TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Big Sur, CA charging challenge

Discussion in 'North America' started by 880lake, Jul 4, 2015.

1. 880lake

880lake New Member

I am driving from Los Angeles and camping in Big Sur (Pfieffer campground). I don't think I can make it in my Model 60 and am looking for charging tips near Big Sur...

I can re-charge at a hotel at Moonstone Beach, then it is 70 miles to the campsite. I likely have to do some driving while at the campsite, and then I want to head back south again, ideally to Atascadero... but that is 100 miles. I can't see how to do it with a 200 mile charge without some sort of charging at Big Sur.

Only option I see is Big Sur Campground and Cabins, $80 for a campsite, but they are booked :(

Hope I don't need to take an ICE but it's looking that way.

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Is there '50 amp' service where you're camping? That works well with your universal charger and nema 14-20 adapter. Or even using trickle charging with 120v and 12 amps... Over a 24 hour camping period, you'll get near 80 miles

3. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

There are three locations near Big Sur:

Big Sur Campground and Cabins
    (831) 667-2322

Fernwood Resort Campground
    (831) 667-2422

Pfeiffer Big Sur
    Riverside Campground
    (831) 667-2414

Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn and Spa are also very close by, but might not have 240 V charging.
    Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is a bit further South.

You might call and see if they can offer even a 120 V outlet to get 76 miles over a 24 hour period.

4. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Post Ranch has long had Tesla HPWC's - but may be for guests only - perhaps if you have lunch there then a leisurely walk around the grounds? 3 hrs can get you up to 75 miles.
    Last year when I physically checked campgrounds mentioned above, the outlets were in sad shape. Definitely call ahead.

I think Big Sur Pfieffer has a 110 next to rest rooms.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

There is also the Ventana Inn, close to the post ranch.

6. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

According to Plugshare...
    ...Ventana Inn has two J1772s - note says for guest only, but maybe you can grab lunch there or ask to pay
    ...Further down 1, Esalan has two HPWCs, but same restriction/option as above
    ...San Simeon Lodge has a J1772 you can use if you eat at the restaurant

Anyway, there are a bunch more options as you go further south - best bet might be to fire up Plugshare than make a couple of phone calls.

O

7. 880lake

880lake New Member

Thanks all. Add to the challenge three young kids, which makes a lunch stop a little tougher. Deetjen's Inn seems like the most likely option for a lunch stop (good options for kids, can walk around the grounds) but I can't find anything about there being a charger/outlet there. As a backup maybe the Ventana Inn.