Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big thumbs up for Modern Spare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lzolman

Never thought I'd be driving the world's best car!
Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2019
Boston North Shore
I ordered the refresh MSLR Modern Spare complete kit around 8 months ago, targeting a cross-country road trip I took in August from Boston to Sturgis, SD (for Motorcycle Week) and back. They didn't ship in time for the trip, but I didn't end up needing it for the trip (thank goodness). After that it just sat, unopened, in my garage.

Until today, when I ran over something with my passenger rear OEM tire (30K on 'em) and made a BIG hole. Fortunately I was only 15 minutes from home, and my helpful wife ran the Modern Spare kit out to me. So this was an unboxing under pressure.

I couldn't be more pleased with the experience. Here's the old tire:

IMG_1787.jpg

Note the jack handle is a ratchet that made it super-easy to jack up the car. JUST enough clearance with the suspension in the highest setting it would let me use.

After jacking it up, next stop was removing the lug nuts. Easy peasy, the long handle gave me plenty of torque and just a gentle push was all it took to loosen the lugs.

IMG_1788.jpg

Old wheel off:

IMG_1789.jpg

And Modern Spare on:

IMG_1790.jpg

Drives great with the Spare, I'll just leave it on until my new four new Conti Procontact RX's arrive at Electrified Garage in NH before the end of the month, and my appt. to install them is Dec. 6th.

This was so much better than having to deal with a flatbed.

Did your tire need a spacer? My tire from Modern Spare for MX, has a spacer which needs to be mounted to ensure that the spare does not interfere with the Brake calipers of the MX.
Nope, no spacer. Fit like a glove. The car is a bit confused as I get the traction control issue indicator and a clicking noise from behind the dash, but it doesn't seem to affect anything adversely.

The traction control error may come as the rolling diameter may be off by a fraction compared to the original tire (technically it has to be same- I did a measurement when my Modern spare arrived and it seems to be the same ) . Aslo ( my guess - not sure about this) the spare tire because of its smaller width/rolling dia may sense a different level of traction , but as long as the speed is kept with the spare tire specs , it should get you home safely .

Last edited:
Reactions: lzolman
My 2020 Modern Spare has a spacer for the rear wheels with the single caliper that includes the parking brake. The performance version has two calipers (one separate for the parking brake). I believe that model does not require a spacer. Modern Tire site has all the information for your model.

Reactions: lzolman
I ordered the refresh MSLR Modern Spare complete kit around 8 months ago, targeting a cross-country road trip I took in August from Boston to Sturgis, SD (for Motorcycle Week) and back. They didn't ship in time for the trip, but I didn't end up needing it for the trip (thank goodness). After that it just sat, unopened, in my garage.

Until today, when I ran over something with my passenger rear OEM tire (30K on 'em) and made a BIG hole. Fortunately I was only 15 minutes from home, and my helpful wife ran the Modern Spare kit out to me. So this was an unboxing under pressure.

I couldn't be more pleased with the experience. Here's the old tire:

View attachment 879224

Note the jack handle is a ratchet that made it super-easy to jack up the car. JUST enough clearance with the suspension in the highest setting it would let me use.

After jacking it up, next stop was removing the lug nuts. Easy peasy, the long handle gave me plenty of torque and just a gentle push was all it took to loosen the lugs.

View attachment 879226

Old wheel off:

View attachment 879227

And Modern Spare on:

View attachment 879228

Drives great with the Spare, I'll just leave it on until my new four new Conti Procontact RX's arrive at Electrified Garage in NH before the end of the month, and my appt. to install them is Dec. 6th.

This was so much better than having to deal with a flatbed.
Awesome . Thanks for sharing . I have a few questions

(1) I notice that your OLD tires are Conti Procontact RT and you are replacing with the same brand. I assume you like them , even in snow in NH, (My 2023 MYLR comes with those same tires). Please share how much U like/dislike them
(2) I wonder how well this spare tire would work with my 2023 MYLR
(3) How much space it would take (ONLY for long trip)

You all enjoy your Holidays

Awesome . Thanks for sharing . I have a few questions

(1) I notice that your OLD tires are Conti Procontact RT and you are replacing with the same brand. I assume you like them , even in snow in NH, (My 2023 MYLR comes with those same tires). Please share how much U like/dislike them

Honestly, the reason I'm replacing them with the same is simply that I didn't have time at that moment to do a lot of research. Tire Rack didn't seem to have much of a choice. As it turns out, I'm not even getting them mounted until tomorrow; I have about 1000 miles on that Modern Spare now, no issues whatsoever. I'm a fan.

I learned a lesson last winter: don't go too fast on those in icy conditions. I spun out, went off the road, but fortunately it was in a desolate cloverleaf and all I hit was dirt. Nameless did the best he could I guess, given the stupidity of the driver (I was most assuredly NOT on autopilot.)
(2) I wonder how well this spare tire would work with my 2023 MYLR
Modern Spare sells them specific to your vehicle, so I'm sure the version for the Y would be great.

(3) How much space it would take (ONLY for long trip)
Basically size of the wheel/tire, the case is soft and wouldn't add any size (the tools fit inside). I haven't done a road trip with it in the back yet, only mounted LOL (short trip to NY from Boston last weekend.)
You all enjoy your Holidays
You too!

Interesting. I was going to ask about the jacking pucks because they're not evident in your pics, but their website says:

• Complete Kit Features Our 4000 LB TruLift Ratcheting Scissor Jack With The Proper Contact Point Specific To Your Model.

However the pic doesn't look like it would fit the vehicle

1675175475800.png

One other question: the lug wrench in your pics looks really functional, but isn't what they have in their pics:

1675175529743.png

Have they changed it since you bought it, or was yours purchased separately?

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I have the kit for my 2020. The wrench in the first pic is a rachet for the heavy duty jack. When I used the jack I had puck pads. The lug wrench has multiple size sockets. My kit included a spacer for the rear wheel, which is required with the two rear disk calipers on certain models. The lug nuts are different sizes. If you go to the site, they will show you and provide what you need for your model and year.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just bought the Modern Spare for my 2023 MS LR.

Since it's the latest version, it doesn't use a spacer any longer like it used to. Here's a quote from their website:
  • Improved High-Clearance 19″ Wheel For Use On Front And Rear -No Spacer Required
On my 2023, there are no holes to put the special pucks like the Model 3/Y. There are already 4 built-in rubber jack pads under the car, so just a regular jack will work without any added pucks.

How much room does it take up? This thing is freaking huge and heavy! It takes up what seems like the whole trunk. It will not be fun traveling with a lot of luggage and having the spare in the way, but I wouldn't leave home without it for a long trip. Forget about using the cargo cover, and to fit luggage, we'll probably have to travel with one or more of the seatbacks down.

For around town, I will leave it in the garage and either have someone bring it, or Uber to get it so I don't have to play the 5 hour waiting game for the tow truck and then have to deal with Tesla on the tire.

I do leave the tools and jack in the lower trunk at all times. And for slow leaks, I carry a 12V air pump and plug kit, if needed.

Last edited:
I just bought the Modern Spare for my 2023 MS LR.

Since it's the latest version, it doesn't use a spacer any longer like it used to. Here's a quote from their website:
  • Improved High-Clearance 19″ Wheel For Use On Front And Rear -No Spacer Required
On my 2023, there are no holes to put the special pucks like the Model 3/Y. There are already 4 built-in rubber jack pads under the car, so just a regular jack will work without any added pucks.

How much room does it take up? This thing is freaking huge and heavy! It takes up what seems like the whole trunk. It will not be fun traveling with a lot of luggage and having the spare in the way, but I wouldn't leave home without it for a long trip. Forget about using the cargo cover, and to fit luggage, we'll probably have to travel with one or more of the seatbacks down.

For around town, I will leave it in the garage and either have someone bring it, or Uber to get it so I don't have to play the 5 hour waiting game for the tow truck and then have to deal with Tesla on the tire.

I do leave the tools and jack in the lower trunk at all times. And for slow leaks, I carry a 12V air pump and plug kit, if needed.
I ordered a Modern Spare tire for my 2023 MYLR, it came yesterday. Looks good, hopefully I never need it, I will carry it in the trunk cargo space ONLY when I am driving out of town