TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Big trip coming up - with a big trailer

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by pdk42, Dec 30, 2019.

1. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Maybe I'm mad... but next Mon I'm taking my glider (9m long trailer weighing ca 1000kg) to Bruschal in Germany. Here's the combo:

20191020_104402.jpg

Based on a previous trip (Towing experiences with the Model 3) where I got 373Wh/mi when towing, I've dialled in 400Wh/mi on ABRP and it's come up with this:

Trip.JPG

So, five stops. Not too bad, but the problem is I'll have to hitch and unhitch each time. Not a huge PITA - unless it's honking it down!

I reckon if I can manage this, then I'll truly be a real EV convert.

Wish me luck!

• Love x 10
    • Like x 6
  2. SirRob

SirRob Member

Isn't the car only rated for a 900kg trailer?

Re-charging every 90 or so minutes does look pretty tedious, though - but I wish you the best of luck.

3. pdk42

pdk42 Member

It's probably only about 900kg TBH. In any case, limit on M3 is 950kg.

4. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

Some superchargers have stalls positioned especially for cars with trailers - common in Norway / Netherlands I think.

5. CMc1

CMc1 supercharge.info editor

Good luck. Keep us updated with a little blog please

6. ACarneiro

ACarneiro Active Member

The hitching/unhitching before every SuC session is gonna be such a ball ache...
    Probably worth not quite following teslafi and topping up to 90%+ at each supercharger (might be able to skip one or two stops)

7. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Yeah - I was thinking that too.

8. Avendit

Avendit Member

Good luck! Did your planning including limiting top speed too? This may offset some of your losses? My boat tows quite happily at and above the limit, but it's half the length and a quarter the weight of your glider, so where I might still go quite quick I imagine you need to stick to the limits when towing?

9. tess19

tess19 Member

That is provided you can get to it. Some SuC are in hotel carpark and would not like to maneuver that glider around the car park. Hitched or unhitched. I would suggest looking on google earth/map to see if you can do it before setting off.

• Like x 1
  10. tess19

tess19 Member

I remember the SuC at maidstone is at the back of a pub so good luck :)

11. pdk42

pdk42 Member

I'll probably top up at Oxford then and go to Channel Tunnel chargers direct. Thanks!

12. pdk42

pdk42 Member

So, it's 7am and I'm at the chunnel terminal at Folkestone. Left in the early hours and pootled at around 50mph. Topped up at Oxford and then straight to here. 356 Wh/mi so far - about what I was expecting. Car now charging at 115kW. No drama so far with range or with unhitching. Convenient parking for the trailer close by at both Oxford and the tunnel.

Fingers crossed it keeps going like this!

• Like x 6
  13. gangzoom

gangzoom Active Member

Good luck!

14. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Somewhere on the M25 at 5:22. 84 minutes from Oxford. 347 Wh/mi.

20200106_052228.jpg

At the chunnel. Supercharging at 110kW.
    20200106_062841.jpg

With the trailer.
    20200106_080321.jpg

And another glider here to keep me company. Coincidence - but they're heading to the same place. They have a Discovery as the tow car though
    20200106_080328.jpg

• Like x 7
  15. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Well, arrived in Bruschal without any particular problems, aside from just a lot of driving in one day.

No drama. Only slight annoyance was the Brussels supercharger (yes, there's only one) which was busy and gave poor charge rates. Other superchargers worked flawlessly and delivered 120kW or more, at least during the early charge phase.

So, I can't see any particular reason not to use a Tesla to tow a big trailer across Europe, even in the winter. Average consumption at a steady 50-55 mph was about 360-370 kWh/mi. I think that's pretty good actually.

If anyone's still awake and interested, I'll do a more structured write up of the ordeal. I learned a lot about Tesla long distance driving through it.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 1
  16. Markblox

Markblox Member

Well done

17. jimbo_hippo

jimbo_hippo Member

Great little piece. interesting to see a different kind of deployment.

I’ve been all over Europe in my American RVs (current one is 35ft, 12.2tonnes and 3.9mtrs high at max UK road width) so I really do get the planning and extra thought and advance planning you’ve had to put into this journey. Great that it all came together!

18. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Glad you got there. Woke up thinking that you hadn't posted for a long time and hoping all was well. Hope you also get on well with the gliding event. Interesting to see a more structured writeup - real world examples are always useful I feel and give us an indication as to what to expect.

19. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Supporting Member

I had a former boss who used to write things like that!
    Please don't be him.
    Please.

• Funny x 1