Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest concern ahead of the big reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything that could make one change one's mind about reserving a Model 3?

For me, it has to look sharp. If it is not a nice looking vehicle I'll just stick to my Model S (although I prefer smaller cars) and maybe jump to a Model X.

To some extent range matters to me. I hope one can order a Model 3 with 275 miles. Other than that I have no doubt performance, features, etc., will all be sufficient for my needs.

It starts with looks though! I'm confident in Elon and team. They have demonstrated great taste thus far.

Looks are going to be a big factor for me. Autopilot capability will be a must have. And the ability to outfit it like a luxury car (leather, sunroof, nav, power memory seats, etc).

If there is no Autopilot (won't happen, I know), or if I can't get things like power seats (see: Chevy Volt), then I might as well save my pennies and buy the Bolt.

Reactions: MitchJi
It has to be a good looking vehicle. I had a Porsche Cayenne for a short time, but switched to Audi because I really preferred the look of the new Audis over the Porsche. Before I jumped and bought a Model S, I was contemplating the Porsche Macan, but once again was hesitant over the looks. Now, I don't love the Model X looks (I do love the Model S), but I would certainly buy one.

Since it is designed to compete with the entry level luxury cars I have no doubt one will be able to "fully" equip it (leather, power, etc.,.).

We are soooooo close. I still get stopped daily in my Model S with people complimenting its looks and asking questions about the car itself.

I just hope that the real world range is actually as advertised. (I was burned big time with my 2011 Leaf) It still works for me... but way below the 100 miles that was originally promised. I'm usually get under 50 now... but I live in the foothills of LA and floor it all the time and drive at 70+ MPH up the 2 freeway (all uphill) on the way home so maybe that has something to do with it. :)

My biggest concern is that there will be 200 people in front of me in line when I get to my local Tesla store to reserve one. Also the chance that apparent complexities revealed from the prototypes will give us all reason to fear that production will be delayed. I'll also be really disappointed if there is 0% chance of a significantly upgraded suite of sensors for the Model 3 as compared to the Model S. I've been thinking more and more about places Tesla will need/try to hold back to keep separation between the 3 and S. If Autopilot is one of those places, I might have to think twice.

And yes, if the thing is hideous, I'll be embarrassed to want one, but I don't expect that to be the case.

Reactions: pmich80 and cdub
Please not a hatchback like the Bolt. Hope ITS BMW 3 or Merc c class size. LOVE a station wagon.
Price is a big one. Yes i know the basic Model 3 will be $35000 but what about higher spec models i just hope Its inline with BMW, Mercedes and not more. Where will the model 3 be built for the right hand drive Australian Market. Hopefully not China! - as they are considering a new Factory there.

Good Range
Autopilot
Supercharger access
Giant sunroof that opens (giving up a convertible)
Leather power heated seats with memory settings (I'm over having to reset my seat all the time)
Cupholders (Yes the little things really matter when you don't want spilled drinks)

I have faith that it won't look like an econobox. I would love to see some more paint color choices that are a little more fun.

I'm surprised people are so eager to be first in line. Tesla's track record with early production cars is, shall we say, spotty. I'd rather be right where I was with my Model S, a few tens of thousands down the production line before me.

I would be surprised if it wasn't a conventional 3 box sedan. That's what sells in the US, and that's still the prime market for Tesla, and this is going to be their volume model.

Reactions: sandpiper and Fiver
I'm surprised people are so eager to be first in line. Tesla's track record with early production cars is, shall we say, spotty. I'd rather be right where I was with my Model S, a few tens of thousands down the production line before me.

I think most people that want to line up early will end up exactly where you're describing in the production line. Considering the multiple categories that will receive priority over the average Model 3 buyer, I think most of us will end up several tens of thousands of people down the list. I, for one, plan to camp out tomorrow night after work.

I live on the West Coast, I do not own a Tesla, I don't work for Tesla or SpaceX, and I don't plan on checking every box on the order sheet. I fully expect that several tens of thousands of people will receive their Model 3s before me, but if I wait any longer, I could be several tens of thousands of peolist, and many months, further down the list. I think that's what most people have in mind.