Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest pain of EV is .......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a nice EV causes my ICE car battery to fail. My wife and I are always driving the Tesla so my ICE car isn't driven and then the ICE battery dies. It's kind of ironic.

I had this happen twice! After the first time, I bought a battery maintainer, but it was cheap and didn't work well (it may have done continual over-charging?). The second one is doing the trick.

I also just had to replace the battery on my 4runner. I was putting the tender on it every month or so but apparently that wasn't enough. Here in AZ car batteries die between 2-3 years. I get my battery from Costco which has a 36 month warranty. The refund your purchase and give you a gift card to buy the new one so you get a brand new battery and another 36 month warranty. Also, no testing or questions when you take it in.

So true. Kept my ICE SUV for 3 years, you know, just in case, as a backup, etc... except the dang 12v wouldn’t stay charged because I never drove it. Eventually removed the 12v and kept it on a tender in my garage... which made it even MORE inconvenient to drive it every once in a while. Finally sold it and happy I don’t have to think about it anymore.

If I need an SUV, I’ll just borrow/rent or pay for delivery...

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Driving my wife's RC-F for the first time in 6 months and almost rear-ending someone because I forgot I had to use the brakes....
Had to drive an ICE car around to various tire centers when my 3 got a flat. At one point I forgot to take the key out of the ignition and just got out the car. After closing the door I just stood there wondering why the music was still playing inside.

I've had to pay more for a car than I ever thought I would because no EV beats a Tesla. I also say this as a former LEAF S owner and someone who researched EVs heavily.

And because I have a long history riding sportbikes, I got the quickest one. Worth it. :D

When a car or truck need's to sit for long periods. A maintaining charger is a good idea. You may want to add a post disconnect switch also. Today's vehicles have many Vampire drains on them. Such as clocks, alarm systems, minor shorts or grounds. Also your fluids have their issues if your vehicles sit for long periods.