Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest Positive and Negative Surprises About Model 3 AWD Performance Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the negative experiences have to do with the anxiety involved in the delivery process. Last minute changes in delivery location - was called the night before delivery it will be at a different location. Last minute proper paperwork completions - needing to have the notarized power of attorney. Wrong finalized paperwork because failure to update loan payment to cash payment. Not having clearly stated in your contract that you have lifelong SuperCharging feature with the car. Not having window stickers of the configuration of the car during your delivery. Tesla having applied some other referral code (don't know if this was done intentionally for someone else's secondary gain) instead of your own friends but afraid to change it because you might lose the SuperCharging right accidentally because of the last minute change. Tesla not registering the car for you so you have to go through the registration process on your own for the state of NV. Also being rushed during the delivery process to the point where you feel like you do not have enough time to feel comfortable evaluating your car. Also inconsistent information from the staff about different trivial and important matters. Expectation to be completely forgiven for their mistakes while expecting perfect model behavior from us like if nothing is wrong. Mostly this is the fault of the system and actually side effect of their rampant success. Trying to logistically deal with all the volume with a limited amount of space and staff and time is definitely the cause. As far as the negatives of the car mostly deal with very little differentiation physically of Performance version of the car vs AWD for the price especially way it is delivered without the carbon spoiler and no mention of when to be installed. Since I have the performance upgrade it is the wheels and the red brake that is only different. There is some forum discussion lately that AWD to Performance could be just a software tweak (instead of truly binned motors) which means AWD maybe definitely the better value for the money. Significant loss of range going from aero wheels nonperformance to the performance with the performance upgrade wheels.

Now for the positives:

- Despite this, I went for the M3P+ because I wanted the best performance M3 with supercharging rights since I wanted the thrill and tend to keep the car forever so the price difference can be diluted over many years of ownership.

- My car was in thankfully better condition then many of the negative post I read about - only defect I noticed on delivery is slightly inconsistent paint quality (slight striation rather than even pearling white) in the lower panel of the doors in the passenger side that is only noticeable if you look really closely under the clear coat (otherwise very difficult to notice in most of the angles or light conditions) and a small deep gauged defect on the black plastic trim by the driver side on the bottom of the door frame. These 2 imperfections were noted on the ticket for the pre-delivery condition. Otherwise perfect. So actually I was ecstatic to take delivery.

- During my drive to Rocklin back to Reno, Nevada - the performance of the car was impressive. I was totally impressed with the pure acceleration and handling of the car as configured. Regenerative braking was an awesome feature I learned to appreciate very quickly during the winding mountainous road. The acceleration, even uphill, was tremendous with the instant response without any lag whatsoever. Very confidence inspiring when passing cars safely. The fun factor is definite! My appreciation for the car's performance grows every day. The car can change its personality from a sedate automated comfortable cruiser to a city traffic threader to a mountain canon tracker, to an all-out drag racer on a straight and wide empty highways.

- Ergonomics of the car is so simply laid out yet so intuitive for people familiar with technology. I am not missing the dashboard between the steering wheel and getting accustomed to the main display was instant for me. Enhanced autopilot function is very useful and easy to engage but a working progress but looking forward to the V9 update. The seating at least in the driver seat seems to be very comfortable during my 2 hours driving back. Love the white spacious interior especially for the size of the car!

- Future proof part of the car since it is constantly being upgraded via software upgrade!

Overall my impression is Tesla has a great competitive product that has a bright future that moves mankind forward and for the better future as long as they can continue to improve on their logistics and service level to be expected from existing and future consumers. I am worried as a new Tesla owner what my after sales support will be as they are in the process of expanding their service centers. There will be a lot of new Tesla's and currently, they have problems with timely part deliveries and repairs. Those days of easyTesla car loaners and pickup services seems to be limited compared to the past with much smaller premium user base. After all spending 80K+ for the car should come with premium after service coming from established ICE luxury established competitor. I am sure if my car is trouble free in the future I will be a total convert, but it depends on my after service if the car has any issues in the future. I truly wish Tesla all the success especially because our future is intertwined.

• Love
Reactions: dfwatt and skrtskrt
The first thing I noticed is the front camera is not reading speed limit signs. A highway near me recently changed from a 45mph zone to a 55mph zone, and when I drive through it the screen shows the 45mph limit. Even when I drive past a 55mph sign, the screen doesn't update.

I presume it's getting the data from the mapping info, and it's simply out-of-date.

Curious when you got your Performance version - also, did you have to provide a charge card? Does your account show your SC visits, a charge and then a refund credit?

I'm supposed to be getting free supercharging for my P3- but my car details still say pay per use (Tesla is working on rectifying this). I also get a $ amount tallied on the car display for each charge session. However, there is no info about SC visits, charges, amounts due etc. on my account page so I assume they aren't actually trying to collect from me (which would be somewhat difficult as I removed my CC from the account).

Biggest Surprise
That I loved driving it so much more than my Model S. I didn't expect it to feel so much lighter and faster.
I'm also surprised that I don't miss the dash display from the S at all. I thought the car needed at least a HUD. Would be nice of course, but I don't find myself missing it.

Negatives: (Mostly just slightly irritating - but many of them can be fixed via software)
The rear view mirror is definitely a problem, and as I saw posted earlier, the issue is that the rear glass is just too high on the car. If a sedan is behind me, I can barely see it. The rear-view camera makes up for this, except that it takes up the whole screen. We need a smaller rear view camera window that can be viewed along with Navigation.

Lack of wiper stalk. This is minor, but I miss it. It's rare that I need it, but it is annoying when I do. Someone pointed out to me if I wanted a quick "1 swipe" that I could just tap the wiper fluid button without holding it and that would do a quick clear if AUTO wasn't doing its job. That was a good tip.

General U/I layout - they just need some way to do a media split screen like the vertical screen on the model S/X. (Or something like it) The full screen use for any major menu is annoying while driving.

USB Playlist support - above issue makes this even more needed.

Phone Charging Center - I don't like things built into cars for dedicated reasons like this. A whole door just for phones, where some a year down the road may not even fit or charge there. Yeah, they have ports below it, but then it just sort of becomes a useless space. Small gripe. I'd prefer just a storage bin.

Reactions: jbcarioca
That sounds depressing lol
Now adjusting back to an ICE vehicle (i.e rental while my M3 is being worked at in SC) is a different story. You realize that the accelerator's primary function is as a straining noise maker and not much else. No mater how deep you press that pedal you'll still accelerate at the same snail like pace. The only difference is, slow with lots of noise or slow with less noise.

• Funny
Reactions: kbecks13
And my number one pet peeve . . . left out for some reason, is that the free supercharging promised to those Model 3P orders paid and deposited before Sept 16th hasn't materialized. Does anyone else with this benefit (all the early buyers of the 3P) know what the story is, and when the account will show the corrected status?

Same for me. Ordered a P3D- on 8/6, took delivery on 9/30. During that time I asked about the free supercharging and was assured it would be included. Found out on delivery day that my account still showed pay per use. I emailed [email protected] and received a response the next day that said my account will be updated and should reflect the free supercharging in about 3 weeks. Not sure why so long, but they also said any charges I incur in the meantime would be removed once the account update was completed. BTW I also gave them a referral code - not sure if this is required for the P3D but wanted to give a friend of mine the referral credit.

That sounds depressing lol

Us hopeless technophiles appear to be somewhat more vulnerable to the chronic worry that there just might be something suboptimal about the tech today. The SSD feels slower than it should, the solar system feels like it doesn't have the full 10kw output, the 4k picture on the 65 inch OLED doesn't look quite as detailed as I remember it, the Tesla feels like . . . .oh wait, I can barely hold onto the frickin steering wheel at full power due the nearly 1G acceleration :p:p:p:p.

I guess at least something is working:):):)

• Funny
Reactions: t6061 and Hershy1
Check your credit card activity. I thought I might have been charged because of the account page referencing the "pay per use supercharging" but the only credit card on file for me shows no charges (I removed it for good measure) and my local store contact (who I contacted via email) said we are aware of the issue and are working on it. Given the focus on quarter end deliveries, etc., I'm sure they'll catch up with updating our respective online Tesla accounts as soon as is practical.

What's important is what I dont see. While my account page has PPU, my car does NOT have the Paid Supercharging field on the car screen as shown below when supercharging.
View attachment 340342
View attachment 340343

This suggests that you would not be eligible for free unlimited SC, as I recall, (could be wrong about this) that only the Performance DM AWD models got the last second grandfathering into that benefit?

Did you get the (August 6th) email telling you that you had been given free unlimited SC?