Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike bell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is another esoteric problem, but quite simple for Tesla to address.

Ever since my first hybrid, and now a couple of years of EVs, I find myself behind some pedestrians with no way to alert them to my presence. This happened again this week with someone standing in a parking place, looking the other way, and me waiting in the street for them to notice me. An EV is just too quiet!

Using the horn is too rude; it will startle or scare the pedestrian, especially if they are just a a few feet from the car. What I need is one of those simple bike bell sort of sounds, just a simple "ring ring" to get their attention without making them jump.

This shouldn't be put on the steering wheel, I wouldn't want to use it when I needed to use the main horn. It could be in the Controls with the frunk/trunk. Somewhere pretty quick to access.

Does anyone else think this would be a useful addition to their car?

Reactions: Topher
I know some owners have placed cordless doorbells in the frunk.

It would be nice if Tesla could add a pedestrian/bike noise maker that could be activated on demand (instead of running constantly). The Chevy Volt has such a device:

Or you could shout "beep beep!"

Or you could stick your head out the window and try to make rumbling sounds like an ICE car...

I do a pretty good "vintage Mercedes diesel clatter imitation" myself... based on many years of practice of humming along with the engine in my 1987 Benz 300D. I prefer the music it makes over listening to cassettes on the original Becker radio.