TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bike bell

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Boatguy, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

This is another esoteric problem, but quite simple for Tesla to address.

Ever since my first hybrid, and now a couple of years of EVs, I find myself behind some pedestrians with no way to alert them to my presence. This happened again this week with someone standing in a parking place, looking the other way, and me waiting in the street for them to notice me. An EV is just too quiet!

Using the horn is too rude; it will startle or scare the pedestrian, especially if they are just a a few feet from the car. What I need is one of those simple bike bell sort of sounds, just a simple "ring ring" to get their attention without making them jump.

This shouldn't be put on the steering wheel, I wouldn't want to use it when I needed to use the main horn. It could be in the Controls with the frunk/trunk. Somewhere pretty quick to access.

Does anyone else think this would be a useful addition to their car?

• Like x 1
  2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.50.3

I know some owners have placed cordless doorbells in the frunk.

It would be nice if Tesla could add a pedestrian/bike noise maker that could be activated on demand (instead of running constantly). The Chevy Volt has such a device:

3. Max*

Max* Charging

Open your windows and crank the music up.

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Yes, Tesla can learn a few things from other manufacturers.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

6. Fresh Start Detail

They could install a hand e-brake lever that locks the rear wheels whereupon you yank on it and squeal the tires as you approach your unsuspecting victim, scaring them stiff! Not that I ever did anything like that as a teen.

7. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Glad to know it's on their product map.

But then of course it begs the recurring question: Will there be an upgrade available for my car? :)

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.50.3

I was under the impression that would be the constant noise required for electric cars driving under a certain speed. Maybe we'll find out for certain later this year.

9. kort677

kort677 Banned

try rolling down your window and saying HELLO:cool:

10. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

Pedestrian Horn
    This thread offered a nice DIY by Zextraterristrial, plus some other fun options.

11. Zextraterrestrial

12. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Or you could shout "beep beep!"

• Funny x 2
  13. scottm

scottm Active Member

Or you could stick your head out the window and try to make rumbling sounds like an ICE car...

I do a pretty good "vintage Mercedes diesel clatter imitation" myself... based on many years of practice of humming along with the engine in my 1987 Benz 300D. I prefer the music it makes over listening to cassettes on the original Becker radio.