TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bike carrier

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RADavid, Jul 4, 2017.

1. RADavid

RADavid Member

Has anyone installed a trailer hitch to the Model S for the express purpose of using it as a bicycle carrier?
    I have read in American threads that Torklift makes a hitch for the MS called EcoLift. Canadians price is about $800 then installation but where would be a location with experience?

2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

I have installed one. AMA.

3. RADavid

RADavid Member

Thanks for the reply. I am near Barrie Ontario and would appreciate a referral to a reputable installer, preferably one with Tesla experience.
    Are you in Ontario rypalmer?

4. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Georgetown VW is an authorized Torklift installer and they have experience on Teslas.

Contact Joel Posthumus @ (905) 877-5285 ext 311.

Back in February this year they provided me an all in quote (including the hitch,trailer wiring, installation, and tax) at about $1300 CDN.

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

I am. I used Auto Accessory World in Oshawa.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I'm pretty sure Alan Hayes installs this sort of trailer hitch / bike rack...he runs a an Eco Limo service with his Model S...he's located in Niagara-on-the-lake.

7. RADavid

RADavid Member

Thank you one and all. Living in the boonies as I do there were no leads but now I have several.

8. RADavid

RADavid Member

Before proceeding, I called Tesla to see what the official policy might be. Tesla Service Lawrence replied that the warranty, certainly for all power train components, related electronics and probably the battery too would be voided. Just the installation of the hitch whether it's ever been used or not is enough to void the warranty. Perhaps this is a limitation too far for me....

9. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

This is just an opinion, IMHO.

Installing a hitch should have no affect on any warranty unless it can be shown that modification caused the issue. This is primarily US law precedent but if Tesla ever plays games with me on this subject, I'll be pursuing legal action.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's absurd, and not legal. They can't disallow the warranty unless they can prove that it caused the problem.

11. shiny

shiny Member

Ask them to put that in writing.

I've called the service center multiple times and find the person on the front line answering the calls has limited knowledge of their policies.

12. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

If you have towed something and subsequently there is a problem with the power train then how do you know the towing has not been related to it? If they expressly state do not ever tow anything because it might do such damage then I cannot fault them for voiding the warrantee. Look at it from their perspective. Even if you really did only use it for a bike rake, how are they to know that?