Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike carrying options...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All:

My wife and I want to road trip w/the dogs & bikes. This means we probably will need a bike rack. I see two options, the roof rack with extra bike racks OR hitch with bike racks. I like door #1 because we could also put other things on the roof rack. Any thoughts or options on how to work through this issue? I see several posts, but no conclusive solutions.

Maybe this is too soon?

Dave

If you only have two bikes, get a Kuat NV 2.0 hitch platform. It’s so much easier to load bikes on it, you’ll wonder why you were damaging your shoulders and car putting bikes on top. I also have a Thule Apex XT 4 Swing ... not nearly as nice. Better order fast! Racks are hard to get these COvIdays.

If you only have two bikes, get a Kuat NV 2.0 hitch platform. It’s so much easier to load bikes on it, you’ll wonder why you were damaging your shoulders and car putting bikes on top. I also have a Thule Apex XT 4 Swing ... not nearly as nice. Better order fast! Racks are hard to get these COvIdays.

You aren't kidding Racks are hard to find I have spent the last 60 days trying to buy one finally settled on Thule T2 XT will be delivered next week. Never could find the Kuat NV.

So that would mean I would need a hitch right? The Tesla hitch is pretty darn expensive. Are there after market hitches I can use? Never plan on towing a boat. Bikes would be it.

I went with the factory hitch after seeing the time needed to install the after market. Yes its cheaper but not much if you add the wiring harness. Not worth my time and risk of damaging other bits.

In my other posts you can see the Yamkaza I use for 2-4 bikes. When it's just me I put my bike inside (it fits wheels on).
Also you can get a cargo carrier for the 2in receiver. Great way to add a lot of cargo space.
I did see a picture of someone carrying a motorcycle on one of these on a Y.

Also read the posts from the guy that cracked his roof putting the roof rack on. Very expensive mistake to make and a caution for what could happen if you put anything sizeable up there.