Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bike hitch advice please for X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, probably the millionth person seeking advice on best bike hitch rack to buy for my Model X 2016.

Have narrowed down to the Yakima Full Swing at $599 versus the Tesla version for $540. I have read that Yakima makes the Tesla. One advantage of the more expensive Yakima is that it apprently swings out, whereas the Tesla does not(?). So if all being equal, seems like $60 for the full swing might be worth it, however...

I had read something about how all bike hitches (except for the TEsla) impede or block the back-up camera, causing conflicts, and that only the Telsa version resolves the back-up camera issue.

I want to be done with this and wonder if anyone has any experience and can say that the Yakima is fine and dandy, or whether to just get the Tesla without the full swing out.

Thanks again!

J

I had read something about how all bike hitches (except for the TEsla) impede or block the back-up camera, causing conflicts, and that only the Telsa version resolves the back-up camera issue.
I would think that any rear-mounted bike hitch with bikes on it will partially block the rear camera view. I have a Thule EasyFold XT 2 and with no bikes on it it is visible in the rear camera view Thule EasyFold XT 2

The Tesla hitch will be in the center of the field of view of the rear camera even when it has no bikes mounted on it. Here is Tesla’s own photo:

Attachments

• A77F2FA5-E31B-4C74-B79C-29468E79B7EE.jpeg
    A77F2FA5-E31B-4C74-B79C-29468E79B7EE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 457
Hello, probably the millionth person seeking advice on best bike hitch rack to buy for my Model X 2016.

Have narrowed down to the Yakima Full Swing at $599 versus the Tesla version for $540. I have read that Yakima makes the Tesla. One advantage of the more expensive Yakima is that it apprently swings out, whereas the Tesla does not(?). So if all being equal, seems like $60 for the full swing might be worth it, however...

I want to be done with this and wonder if anyone has any experience and can say that the Yakima is fine and dandy, or whether to just get the Tesla without the full swing out.

Thanks again!

J

Do you really want that style hitch, or are you open to something else? There are plenty of better quality racks IMO. I have a new Tesla rack sitting in storage for just that reason...

I'll raise you a Kuat with a traildoc!
I'll play.

scrs81I.jpg

Thanks again!

J
I've got a Yakima full swing and think it's fine and dandy. Only time it complains about the camera obstruction for me is when backing up, this is more about the parking sensors being covered than the camera I think. I also only have AP1 on my car though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't have a picture handy right now, but I have @ngng's Kuat rack. Exactly like that, and I love it. It's a little pricey, but it has built in bike locks, is expandable to 4 bikes if you ever need to do that, and has a built-in maintenance rack to hold your bike so you can work on it. Folds away from the car so you can get into the trunk easily. Bikes lock in super tight in less than 60 seconds per bike.

Just put the car in Trailer Mode when you're backing up, and it won't make those obnoxious beeps. Then turn trailer mode back off so you can use Enhanced AP.

I've got a few questions from the manual that aren't making any sense. I'm seeing that the maximum VERTICAL hitch weight limit of 120 pounds/54Kg. I'm seeing that in the Model Y it's higher at ~160 pounds/72Kg. This is the weight that can be supported on the hitch alone without exceeding warranty limits : hitch mount weight + bikes weight. Yet, at the same time I believe the Model X has a higher tow capacity - the Model X has a Class 3 rating while the Model Y has a Class 2 rating.

In my case, I'm looking to find a decent hitch that can carry 4 bikes - preferably a platform as opposed to a bar cradle.

What is this real answer here?

What is this real answer here?
The X and the Y do not use the same hitch. The hitch manufacturers specs are not the same between the two vehicles. As you noted, max allowed vertical hitch weight is not the same as max towing weight.

My X hitch is not rated to support the weight of my two 45 lb ebikes and the Thule two-bike rack that can safely support them. So I had a hitch installed on my 3 that was rated for the combined weight of the bikes plus rack, a hitch that had a lower tow weight rating but a higher vertical load rating than the X hitch.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
The X and the Y do not use the same hitch. The hitch manufacturers specs are not the same between the two vehicles. As you noted, max allowed vertical hitch weight is not the same as max towing weight.

My X hitch is not rated to support the weight of my two 45 lb ebikes and the Thule two-bike rack that can safely support them. So I had a hitch installed on my 3 that was rated for the combined weight of the bikes plus rack, a hitch that had a lower tow weight rating but a higher vertical load rating than the X hitch.
Thank you for that info. Just out of curiosity, what hitch did you go with?

I looked at the Easyfold and the Kuats. They both seemed really nice, but I was hoping to spend less, and three out of four of our bikes have fenders, so the Kuats (which latch on to the wheel near the fork) won't work. My bike has a very wide, sloping top bar, so it doesn't work on the racks that hang bikes by their frames.

I ended up with a KAC for $400. I'm mostly pretty happy with it; at 45lbs it plus my wife's bike plus my ebike together all stay under the 120lb hitch limit (although it says it can hold up to two 60lb bikes). It folds up within about a foot of the car when not in use, and swings down when in use so you can open the hatch. It's easy to put together and use, and it can fit just about any bike. We can supercharge with it on. And when we only put one bike on, if we put it on the outside, we can still open the hatch. If you only haul one bike, it's easy to take off the bits for the second bike so that it's smaller.

PXL_20211011_205819580.jpg

I do have two disappointments:

1. When off the car, it doesn't fold up like the Thule Easyfold, so it needs a long place to store it in the garage. We have a blank section of wall and just lean it up against that. Not a big deal, but something different than all other racks we've had before, and it might not work for everyone.

2. From looking at pictures, I assumed I'd lower the vertical bar (the one that holds the frames), put the ebike in the inner position, then raise the bar and lock it in - then load my wife's lighter bike on the outside. The problem with that is that once the ebike is in position, it's basically sitting on the vertical bar. So you have to load the inside bike with the vertical bar raised. That's pretty easy with my wife's light bike...but a pain with my heavy ebike. I suppose I could take the hook off the vertical bar; but then I'd have to hold the bike in place with one hand, and with the other raise the vertical bar, then grab the hook and put it on...so I just put the heavy bike on the outside.

PXL_20211011_205828820.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that info as I've got to look into the actually carrier, but I actually meant the hitch receiver. Something that retains the 5000 pound towing capacity, but also increases the vertical hitch weight limit to something better than 160 pounds. Does changing it in any way affect the warranty by upgrading the hitch receiver?

I've got a Yakima full swing and think it's fine and dandy. Only time it complains about the camera obstruction for me is when backing up, this is more about the parking sensors being covered than the camera I think. I also only have AP1 on my car though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quick question for you. Do you own a model Y or X?

If you own a Y, when you use the Yakima full tilt, do you push the Yakima all the way in the hitch receiver or half out using the smart pin?