Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Hitch Rack and Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to purchase a Thule Apex XT 5 to carry our 5 bikes. We might take some trips that require supercharging in Southern California. Are there any challenges with using this bike rack and fitting the Model X to supercharge? For 5 bikes, are there any other recommended bike hitch racks?

Outside of being able to back into Superchargers if there is a not a pull in available you need to know that the tongue weight for the hitch is 120lbs. So if that Thule is 50lbs, than you can only hold an additional 70lbs of bikes. Not sure how heavy your bikes are, but FYI.

That’s really helpful. Didn’t know what the tongue weight was till now. I read the manual and the tongue weight limit is 500lbs if you’re using 20 inch wheels.

Vertical carrying weight such as a bike carrier or a hitch mounted cargo carrier is limited to 120lbs for the Model X hitch. If you search for 'cargo hitch' on TMC you will find a lot of discussion that will be directly relevant to you for wanting to carry bikes.

Carrying Accessories
The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch
receiver that can support an accessory carrier.
The hitch receiver is designed to support
vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When
carrying bicycles or other items on the Model
X hitch, always check to ensure that the
maximum weight is not exceeded. When
calculating weight, remember to include the
weight of the accessory carrier. For example,
assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight
threshold is
sufficient
for carrying two bicycles
weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four
bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.
Caution:
The Model X hitch is designed to
support up to 120 lbs (54 kg). Exceeding
this maximum weight can cause
significant
damage.
Caution:
Do not attempt to install a
carrier on a Model X that is not equipped
with the towing package. Doing so can
cause
significant
damage.

• Informative
Reactions: voltronhb
One up USA is the lightest out there

I am planning lease another MX for my wife towards end of September so I have been looking into 4-bike rack.

I looked into 1up... 2 bike rack from them is $570 and weighs 46lb. If you add 2 add-one at 18lb each and costs $220 each, the whole thing costs $1000+ and weighs 82lb. In theory, there is no way I can put 4 bikes and keep tongue weight under 120lb as any mountain or hybrid bike will be 20lb+

At the same time, there is an older post from 2018 with MX owner showing a picture of 4 bikes on a 1up rack:

1UP bike rack with 4 bikes barely fits for Supercharging

Any feedback or suggestions?

I am planning lease another MX for my wife towards end of September so I have been looking into 4-bike rack.

I looked into 1up... 2 bike rack from them is $570 and weighs 46lb. If you add 2 add-one at 18lb each and costs $220 each, the whole thing costs $1000+ and weighs 82lb. In theory, there is no way I can put 4 bikes and keep tongue weight under 120lb as any mountain or hybrid bike will be 20lb+

At the same time, there is an older post from 2018 with MX owner showing a picture of 4 bikes on a 1up rack:

1UP bike rack with 4 bikes barely fits for Supercharging

Any feedback or suggestions?

I plan on limiting to 2 bikes

It
Planning to purchase a Thule Apex XT 5 to carry our 5 bikes. We might take some trips that require supercharging in Southern California. Are there any challenges with using this bike rack and fitting the Model X to supercharge? For 5 bikes, are there any other recommended bike hitch racks?

It's an excellent rack, I've had the Apex Swing version for many years. The bikes hang far enough back to not interfere with the charging port.