Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike rack and back up sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my M3 in early February. I’m an avid bike rider and ride pretty much every day on the local greenways. I got an Allen bike rack for the M3 and it holds the bike securely and does not damage the car. With the rack and bike mounted on the car however backing up is a real adventure. The obstructed sensors cause the car to bark warnings constantly. While it stops when I change from reverse to drive I wonder if it is damaging the system. Anyone else have experience with this?

Got my M3 in early February. I’m an avid bike rider and ride pretty much every day on the local greenways. I got an Allen bike rack for the M3 and it holds the bike securely and does not damage the car. With the rack and bike mounted on the car however backing up is a real adventure. The obstructed sensors cause the car to bark warnings constantly. While it stops when I change from reverse to drive I wonder if it is damaging the system. Anyone else have experience with this?
I don’t think it will cause any damages to your vehicle.
You can mute parking sensor warning beeping.

Allen S-102 Premier 2 Bike Carrier. It’s on Amazon for around 90 bucks. Fits great and holds my bike securely. I generally put a towel under the top bar pads as they will leave a faint mark after long use. Easily buffed out but better to eliminate in the first place.

Also, I can tell you that if you have a lightweight bike (< 30 lbs or so), the Allen Sports Ultra Compact trunk rack will also work. I've had this one for about 8 years on a Nissan LEAF, and I only had to adjust the straps to get a snug fit on the Model 3. Note that I just put it on to test fit - I haven't driven anywhere with the rack & bike attached.

Allen Sports MT-1B on Model 3.jpg Allen Sports MT-1B on Model 3 - top.jpg Allen Sports MT-1B on Model 3 - side.jpg Allen Sports MT-1B on Model 3 - with bike.jpg

I know you said it doesn't damage the car, but I guarantee you that kind of rack will eventually damage the paint on both the car and the bike over time. Is it your first time using one? Just don't want you to be surprised by the eventual damage.

The investment is obviously significantly higher, but a "stealth hitch" is the way to avoid 1) paint damage 2) an otherwise unsightly hitch. There are at least two on the market:
Having owned both designs, I will say the Stealth Hitches product is superior.

I get that I'm talking about a $1000 investment (for hitch and rack) vs $100 but how much is your paint job worth? :p

Reactions: Biscuitman
Just installed a Curt hitch this weekend. It's on Etrailer for like $185. The 1.25" hitch isn't that noticeable with the rack removed.

Attachments

• 20200526_103827.jpg
    20200526_103827.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 20200526_103838.jpg
    20200526_103838.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 333
I know you said it doesn't damage the car, but I guarantee you that kind of rack will eventually damage the paint on both the car and the bike over time. Is it your first time using one? Just don't want you to be surprised by the eventual damage.

The investment is obviously significantly higher, but a "stealth hitch" is the way to avoid 1) paint damage 2) an otherwise unsightly hitch. There are at least two on the market:

I get that I'm talking about a $1000 investment (for hitch and rack) vs $100 but how much is your paint job worth? :p

I completely concur that if you can justify the investment in a hitch + hike mount rack, that's the better option. For me, I'm an occasional rider, so I can't. What I CAN say is that over the course of 7+ years and probably 300+ mountings and dismountings of the Allen Sports compact trunk rack on my LEAF, the only paint "damage" has been a couple of quarter-sized smudges where the straps on the upper hooks rubbed paint on the spoiler which could probably be buffed out. But the main pads ended up on the rear glass on the LEAF - I think they would damage paint over the course of years of use.

You pays your money and you takes your choices... ;)

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle

I bought one of those and after 8 hours of trying making it fit, I gave up. It turns out it fits some cars and doesnt fit other cars. Mine was a 08-19 build and it wouldnt fit.

Yeah, apparently Curt revised the design of the hitch this spring. The older model is 11571 I think, but the newer model number is 11581 (Class 1 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4" Receiver, Select Tesla Model 3). It was on Etrailer as C52VR but in the specs says 11581 (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C52VR.html).

Not sure if you had the older design, but yeah, that definitely gave people problems from what I've seen around the forums. I was going to order the hitch when I got the car back in November, but saw those fit complaints. I messaged Curt and never heard back so had decided to wait. I pretty much ride inside only until it gets hot so wasn't in a rush. Also have the wife's van with a bike rack to use if needed. Glad I waited though.

I am thinking about getting the stealth hitch. Which bike rack are you using?
Thank you.

I have the RockyMounts SplitRail like @Telstar, with the add-ons so I can carry up to 4 bikes. I also have a 1UP single that I use most of the time since 99% of the time I'm really only carrying 1 bike...

EDIT: to clarify I like the RockyMounts rack a lot, it's a great rack, but really heavy with 4 rails. I take the rack on and off the car so that got old really quick. So I got the 1UP which is just about the lightest thing out there in a hitch rack.

Last edited: