Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike rack drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, a little off topic, but has anyone here tried to fit two road bikes *inside* a Model 3?

I guess with the front wheels removed and handlebars turned they can be ‘posted’ through the boot opening?

I haven't done it but I would be very surprised if that wasn't a feasible option with a bit of care. You've got a couple of meters from the back of the front seats to the back of the boot. In years gone by I've had bikes in the back of some very small cars! (With multiple bikes sometimes pedals get in the way in cramped spaces but those can be taken off too if needed.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good tow hitch bike carrier that can carry 4 family bikes

I don't have a recommendation but be aware of the tow hitch weight limit of iirc 54kg - by the time rack is on circa 15-20kg, you will be needing to average under 10kg per bike. Don't know how 10kg sounds bike wise, but compared to my ebike without battery, thats half my bikes weight which sounds quite light to me. I wonder if you are going to struggle getting 4 bikes within the weight limit.

I don't have a recommendation but be aware of the tow hitch weight limit of iirc 54kg - by the time rack is on circa 15-20kg, you will be needing to average under 10kg per bike. Don't know how 10kg sounds bike wise, but compared to my ebike without battery, thats half my bikes weight which sounds quite light to me. I wonder if you are going to struggle getting 4 bikes within the weight limit.
My winter Cyclocross weighs 9.5Kg and summer Road bike weighs 7Kgs

Picked up the commuter EV today.....£50 tow bar mounted bike carrier, takes 30 seconds to fit than 30 seconds to mount the bike. Much cleaner than loading the bike inside.

One advantage of the X is its so massive the bike doesn't increase the width, the photo suggest the wheels overhang but its all perspective, you cannot see the bike from wing mirrors. From the drivers seat the bike is hardly visible in the mirror, the rear seat is about level with the spoiler.

49543244833_da1739a89c_c_d.jpg

49543766081_cd1b3a1660_c_d.jpg

49543769936_885902b817_c_d.jpg

Will do a consumption test at some stage, will be using the carrier to take the road bike on our Scotland summer holiday.

The new EV is actually quite exciting despite been from Halfords, and will hopefully cut down my car usage, first commute tomorrow, just missing the stromy weather :).

49543223028_3a8d590085_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cogarch and house9
Nice looking bike - serious with pedal straps although not really sure they are needed on an ebike - you get such a boost with the motor. They have come on since I got mine - more a touring - I can guess where the battery is, but still struggling to guess where the motor is.

My bike wouldn't fit on that rack - it comes in at around 20kg without battery, so a bit overweight. It turned into a very expensive 5kg! I guess carbon and lack of carrier make it much lighter.

I've got the Thule 3 bike rack with the plate and lights.
My main concern, outside of the reduction in range, is the super charger lead length.
Tesla seem to like putting big metal signs up between the stalls, which means that you cannot reverse a bike rack down the side of the super charger and park in the same position as you would without one. You would need to park about 1m further forward.

Nice looking bike - serious with pedal straps although not really sure they are needed on an ebike - you get such a boost with the motor. They have come on since I got mine - more a touring - I can guess where the battery is, but still struggling to guess where the motor is.

Its the Fazua Evation system, the motor and battery are in a removable part of the down tube. The bike is about 11kg without the motor/battery and ridable without it. When moving its feels and handles like a normal fast hybrid road bike, doesn't feel like a 15kg bike more like a 10kg one, its the same system as in the £6K Pinarello Nytro!

Guarda cosa ho trovato su pinarello.com - NYTRO - Carbon T700 - Carbon T700

Used it today, left the X at home, glad to have some assistance with all the wind around, going to look into some mini areo bars to get some more areo - obviously. Loving it so far, forget the bike carrier, going to try and ride things thing as much as I can :).

I thought you weren’t supposed to add a tow bar to a Model S. I’ve read about some people in the USA using them, but thought there was no proper mounting point and the chassis is aluminium.

That could be it. I hadn't got into that much detail, just had seen pics of them in the US and found nothing here in the UK when I looked last year. I wouldn't want to modify the car inappropriately but a bike rack that doesn't touch bodywork or glass and allows the boot to be opened could be a handy thing. Maybe a tow bar style mount but to a bespoke plate, ie without the actual ball would avoid the eventuality where it's used to tow a weight that might cause damage.

Last edited:
Fitting a tow bar to a car that didn't come with one is illegal in the UK, in the US (or at least in some states) you can do what you want, a bit like here in the UK 10 years ago. You can get after market tow bars that have a spike/ridge on the top to allow some bike racks to fit but not a trailer/caravan. I was tempted to put one on my Leaf.
The legal requirements are regarding towing and with bike racks you are not strictly towing. I believe they have low weight limits (like 50kg) to get round the restrictions, but that's plenty for a bike rack. So as long as you don't fit something that you could tow with (without the spike/ridge and weight restriction) then it's legal.

• Informative
Reactions: squarepeg77
Does anyone have experience of the atera strada DL 3? I want to get for model 3
Sorry for getting here late, we had to get the optional shim for our 3. The dl3 was fine one trip with 3 bikes, but fell off (at 5mph, on the first corner, thankfully!) with 4. With the shim in it feels much more solidly attached to the car, but I've not tried it out yet.

Well, attempt 1 done:

Its obviously hitting some kind of boundary condition a lot of the time. Will try again with slightly different software. Hopefully you can see my thoughts with a pre-spoiler or wedge. Will also try it with an actual top of roof spoiler once its up and running. if its any faster I'll aim for a little higher res too.
I've not had a chance to work on this, but before lockdown I did get to do a trip in the 3 with 3 bikes on. I was carefully sticking to 70, and in chill mode, but it was 160 miles where I got worse range than usual by about 2%. So that evens out at about my usual +10% adjustment in abrp.

So impact not that bad really. This was 1 large MTB, 1 woman's cheap and heavy MTB and a frog kidsb bikefor a 9yo.