TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bike Rack For Accessory Hitch

Discussion in 'Model X' started by guidom, Mar 16, 2016.

1. guidom

guidom Member

Does anybody have any news about getting the bike rack for the Model X with the 2 inch accessory hitch?

Does Tesla make one like it was shown in the launch? Or do we need to get one aftermarket (if so does anybody recommend one)?

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

3. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

If you're riding a mountain bike, the Northshore Racks system I've been using is one I'd be happy to recommend. The bikes are carried vertically (essentially hung from the forks) so the center of gravity stays fairly far forward. The angle can be modified from fully forward on a car with a trunk, to tipped back to fit against the back of a van (and a few points in between). You can also tip it all the way back until the rear tires sit on the ground, so that the hatch can be opened.

I don't know where the X hatch fits in this vertically, but I'd be surprised if you had to tip too far back. But looking at how it fit on my old Benz, it might have to go back a little.

The system comes in two and four bike configurations. Loading is incredibly easy... drop the bike into the cradle and snap a cord around the rear rim and you're good to go. Plenty of good photos on www.northshoreracks.com

twobikerack.jpg

4. guidom

guidom Member

Thanks for the responses! Looking for something pretty simple, more to carry road bikes 30-40 miles max and can add and remove easily.

5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I had a 2” receiver installed in my Model S and use the Sherpa Küat rack. I picked this rack because of its light weight aluminum construction, although it only holds 2 bikes. Now I can use it on my Model X. it comes in 2 “colors” and just slides into the 2” receiver and is secured with a twisting knob. It also folds up when not in use.
    http://kuatracks.com/products/hitch/sherpa/
    sherpa-1_1.png

• Like x 1