Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Rack for Panoramic Sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t have one with the bikes on. This I found.
D39219FD-0A13-462A-8686-4C1BB15C10B0.jpeg

Next time we take the bikes for a ride, I’ll make sure to immortalize with a picture.

Don’t have one with the bikes on. This I found. View attachment 655018
Next time we take the bikes for a ride, I’ll make sure to immortalize with a picture.
Excellent! Thank you so much. This looks great. I just fear that the roof racks you have on your car are wider than the current one for the Raven MS? I'm not sure the new roof racks will take 4 bike mounts?

How is the consumption hit with 4 bikes up there?

Last edited:
I don’t know about now, but then there was the choice of longer bars extending beyond the mounting points. This I needed indeed to place 4 bikes.
Consumption takes a serious hit. Around 380Wh/km at 120kph in winter. I think in summer is less bad, around 330 maybe. We don’t do long distance. Max is like 150km one way, which works on one full charge of our old 85.

Looks like such option still exist for recent S. Called “through bar”:
Thanks. I ordered the Tesla one direct from Tesla. It looks like it will only fit 3 bikes.
Due to the consumption hit I’m going to test a large Thule roofbox too. It will fit two adult bikes, and then kids bikes go in trunk. We need to get from Frankfurt to Tuscany.....

Nice, we’re also heading to Tuscany if all goes well this year. But without anything on the roof. And we’ll rent bikes there.
Taking bikes on vacation is something I did with our previous Audi, on the hitch, with a large box on the roof. With the Tesla (our old 85 has a huge frunk), no need for the roof box. But the bike is a no no for me.
Also partially because on the last vacations with those bikes, we did not really use them. I’m certain our mileages was bad but of course in a diesel you don’t pay attention. I’m much more sensitive to CO2 and whatnot efficiency now.
No regrets here about not taking our bikes: they are expansive and that journey is probably taking a toll on them. The economy on fuel balances the bike rental somehow.

Nice, we’re also heading to Tuscany if all goes well this year. But without anything on the roof. And we’ll rent bikes there.
Taking bikes on vacation is something I did with our previous Audi, on the hitch, with a large box on the roof. With the Tesla (our old 85 has a huge frunk), no need for the roof box. But the bike is a no no for me.
Also partially because on the last vacations with those bikes, we did not really use them. I’m certain our mileages was bad but of course in a diesel you don’t pay attention. I’m much more sensitive to CO2 and whatnot efficiency now.
No regrets here about not taking our bikes: they are expansive and that journey is probably taking a toll on them. The economy on fuel balances the bike rental somehow.
Yeah, pre-Tesla it was the same for us: hitch with bikes + roof box. I really hope the new MS will have a factory option for a tow hitch. I really prefer that for transporting bikes. As I lease the car, I can't put an aftermarket tow hitch in...

But good idea on simply renting bikes, might be an option for the kids. For me not so much, as I'm considerably taller than the average Italian bike size available....

Fingers crosssed it works out for you in Tuscany!

Reactions: AustinP
Little trip today with two bikes.

1C43BEF5-4FFF-47ED-8A25-22BAB895FFAB.jpeg

little bit pushed by the wind (13km/h) and 13 Celsius degrees.
Below is the consumption: first 30km is end of highway at 120 km/h then last 20km were road around 70 km/h.

FE57FC3F-1569-4FD0-B4C3-5732D043A78A.jpeg

So average was around 300 or so on the highway, and dropped around 200 on the country roads.

The perfect fit version are now sold in Australia as Aero Flushbar and they are available for 2015-on pano roof MS on Ebay,
with tax n all you'll coughing up close to 700 USD for a set.

Last edited:
It ended up working out great with the large roof box. I rented this one: Thule Motion XT XXL (for €105 for the 2 weeks) which had enough space for my mountain bike and my sons Woom Off 6 plus a bunch of odds and sods. The little one's Woom 5 went in the trunk with our luggage for 2 weeks. We (2 adults + 2 children) drove from Frankfurt to Cortona and back (via Portovenere and Turin) with the roof box on, and spent 2 weeks exploring Tuscany without the box (as we just stored it at our rental).
Total distance with roof box 2,400km, total distance of trip 3,359km - consumption 688 kWh or 205 Wh/km (which interestingly is less than my lifetime average of 210Wh/km ???).

Going 130km/h with the roof box had consumption up to between 280-310 Wh/km, which is 70-100 Wh/km more than when I drive without the box.

Overall, I'm really happy with the setup and will do it again for sure.

Negatives:
- noise level with the roof box is noticeably higher, but no where close to what I had with bike racks on the old ICE cars
- the Thule Motion XT XXL is so long, that the trunk can't open all the way and you have to set the limiter on the Model S to avoid puncturing the windscreen - access to the trunk is a little limited, but overall fine.

Gräfenhausen Supercharger
IMG_0385.jpeg

Top of San Gottardo Pass
IMG_0389.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP