Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Rack Ground Clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen several threads where people have discussed the use of hitches and bike racks. The users seem to be pleased, but my concern is ground clearance, which I haven't heard anyone address. I have a Kuat NV 2.0 bike rack (for my other car) and was considering the EcoHitch for the Model S.

Can anyone who carries bikes discuss your experience with scraping the pavement or other nightmare scenarios?

I didn't want to go the hitch route due to reading about rust issues so I'm currently using sea sucker mount to transport my bike.
Me too.
60549E41-B7CD-4656-90A9-5B8AAC5B89C2.jpeg

Reactions: krsgio

I tried risers in the past on my Lexus LS sedan and, although it keeps the bike rack higher, the bottom of the riser itself will hit the ground. The riser actually increases the chance of me contacting the ground because it sticks out more and I feared the impact gets transmitted to the hitch and car frame. I think it's best just to raise the suspension when the situation requires.

I tried risers in the past on my Lexus LS sedan and, although it keeps the bike rack higher, the bottom of the riser itself will hit the ground. The riser actually increases the chance of me contacting the ground because it sticks out more and I feared the impact gets transmitted to the hitch and car frame.

Better to drag a sturdy riser on the ground than a much more delicate bike rack. You want a riser that steps up, with a short lower portion - definitely not one of those over/under dual receivers. Happily been using a riser and 1up for 7 years on our S and 2.5 on our 3, which has even less clearance and no air suspension.

Thanks for the responses. My previous S had no active suspension. I'm about to order a new one (waiting for battery day). Is there a noticeable difference with the suspension elevated?

Which leads to the next question...what does it do to range? Has anyone taken one on a long trip?

Thanks for the responses. My previous S had no active suspension. I'm about to order a new one (waiting for battery day). Is there a noticeable difference with the suspension elevated?

Which leads to the next question...what does it do to range? Has anyone taken one on a long trip?

The speed is limited in High and Very High. Off the top of my head, I think it starts lowering to standard height somewhere between 14-19 MPH.

Edit: The limits have been raised because i distinctly recall it being 19 MPH for one of the settings before:

SmartSelect_20200915-113459_Drive.jpg

Better to drag a sturdy riser on the ground than a much more delicate bike rack. You want a riser that steps up, with a short lower portion - definitely not one of those over/under dual receivers. Happily been using a riser and 1up for 7 years on our S and 2.5 on our 3, which has even less clearance and no air suspension.

I wasn't referring to just dragging. I accepted the dragging part and glad it worked for you. OP will just have to test it. From my experience, if the driveway or road is a tad too steep then the bottom of the riser hits the ground "head on" and is literally pushing against you and not just dragging on the ground. I was all excited when I got the riser and thought my problems were solved but I just got a different set of problems. The riser can definitely work but you won't know until you try it. For me, it wasn't the solution I hoped it to be and I was particular about getting a riser with the shortest extension I could find.

ChrisGioPhotosTrekSeaSucker2-XL.jpg

I've driven 600+ miles and at speeds up to 90 mph without any issues if anyone was curious. Range wasn't impacted too much unless you're going thru Wyoming then the wind/speed kills your wh/mi. I normally travel with it lower on the rear glass like gbailey's pictures.

Reactions: COS Blue