Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request ] Bike rack mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
@elon

There should be a “bike rack” mode whereby the rear parking sensors are disabled. Currently, with bike rack in place (loaded or unloaded) it causes a fault with the sensors and then disengages the front sensors with it.

A simple, “disable rear parking sensors” or “bike rack mode” would easily rectify this. I have tried using trailer mode but doesn’t seem to address the sensors triggering and faulting/shutting off the front.

I use a 1up single hitch rack that I effectively leave permanently mounted due to riding every other day or so and it’s annoying to see the errors and lose the front sensor/depth meters.

Can someone with a twitter send this to Elon? 😂

(Someone else posted to not open the tailgate without confirmation if something is suspected to be blocking it—excellent idea as well).

Upvote 0
+1, great idea.
Currently struggling with this. I'm finding the rear sensors are lit up like a rainbow mustache, and back up has an alarm like a dump truck. So far no sensors shut off.

I can confirm no damage when the tailgate opens and hits the rack, at least on our configuration. 🤣 (no promises tho)

Huh, for an adventure vehicle this seems like a big oversite. I'm not Tesla beating here, just understanding Tesla is a marvel in the making. This problem sounds like it could be corrected fairly easily with a software change. Problem is when. I need to find a more direct pipeline for Tesla customer suggestions.

I ordered the tow hitch for ebikes. That got modified when I found the Type II trailer hitch is only rated for 160 pounds total on vertical load. Two 65 pound bikes does not allow for the 50+ pound bike rack. This goes for the hitch carriers also. I'm no hitch expert, especially on a Tesla but a Type III hitch may have avoided this. Not a big deal for me but it is limiting.

With camping mode emphasizing the outdoor capability, it doesn't seem they did all their homework.

Huh, for an adventure vehicle this seems like a big oversite. I'm not Tesla beating here, just understanding Tesla is a marvel in the making. This problem sounds like it could be corrected fairly easily with a software change. Problem is when. I need to find a more direct pipeline for Tesla customer suggestions.

I ordered the tow hitch for ebikes. That got modified when I found the Type II trailer hitch is only rated for 160 pounds total on vertical load. Two 65 pound bikes does not allow for the 50+ pound bike rack. This goes for the hitch carriers also. I'm no hitch expert, especially on a Tesla but a Type III hitch may have avoided this. Not a big deal for me but it is limiting.

With camping mode emphasizing the outdoor capability, it doesn't seem they did all their homework.
A 1up super duty double might fit your needs and keep you at
+1, great idea.
Currently struggling with this. I'm finding the rear sensors are lit up like a rainbow mustache, and back up has an alarm like a dump truck. So far no sensors shut off.

I can confirm no damage when the tailgate opens and hits the rack, at least on our configuration. 🤣 (no promises tho)
rainbow mustache!!!!! ROFL.

I turned off parking chimes as I got tired of the noise fairly quickly.

• Funny
Reactions: Arthur31
+1 to bike mode and snow mode.

Hitch mounted bike racks like the 1up are great with the MY, low profile, look great, industrial strength, and easy to use. I use it often and keep it on regularly the bike is part of our commute setup. With the 1up super duty single the quickest way to remove the alerts is to put the car in Trailer mode. It is ok, but disables a lot more than just the rear radar sensors. It's a bit startling if you forget and get the warning beeps and yellow / red mustache alerts.

Bike mode and Snow mode are close in the wish list.

Attachments

• PXL_20220407_005356520~2.jpg
    PXL_20220407_005356520~2.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 599
+1 to bike mode and snow mode.

Hitch mounted bike racks like the 1up are great with the MY, low profile, look great, industrial strength, and easy to use. I use it often and keep it on regularly the bike is part of our commute setup. With the 1up super duty single the quickest way to remove the alerts is to put the car in Trailer mode. It is ok, but disables a lot more than just the rear radar sensors. It's a bit startling if you forget and get the warning beeps and yellow / red mustache alerts.

Bike mode and Snow mode are close in the wish list.
I have the same but in silver. Trailer mode didn’t work to resolve chimes or mustache for me. I might try it again and see if it does. I rarely use autopilot and if needed, I can turn off the trailer mode.

Attachments

• 76314644-A731-4DF0-A92E-5F858361B59A.jpeg
    76314644-A731-4DF0-A92E-5F858361B59A.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 237
+1 I ordered the tow hitch just for carrying my mountain bike. Hope it gets fixed soon.
It's not a big deal, more of a nice to have. We just did a 1000 mile trip to the coast and back last week, rainbow mustache lit up the whole way, so we could use TACC or Auto steer, I forget which.

Trailer mode did work to stop the mustache, but then limited auto steer?

This was back on v10, so might be different now, come to think of it (only updated to latest a few days ago).

But who knows, everything changes all the time, so by the time you get yours all this could be different.

@elon

There should be a “bike rack” mode whereby the rear parking sensors are disabled. Currently, with bike rack in place (loaded or unloaded) it causes a fault with the sensors and then disengages the front sensors with it.

A simple, “disable rear parking sensors” or “bike rack mode” would easily rectify this. I have tried using trailer mode but doesn’t seem to address the sensors triggering and faulting/shutting off the front.

I use a 1up single hitch rack that I effectively leave permanently mounted due to riding every other day or so and it’s annoying to see the errors and lose the front sensor/depth meters.

Can someone with a twitter send this to Elon? 😂

(Someone else posted to not open the tailgate without confirmation if something is suspected to be blocking it—excellent idea as well).
I've wacked my bike by accident opening the trunk with the bike on.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I think pretty much every alternative to the OEM hitch cover is far superior. I happen to have the spring loaded one that I think is the same as the one on amazon. I think I got it on Etsy and it was the only non-DIY at the time but I can see the magnetic one is probably as good perhaps better.

I agree with everyone about having a Bike Rack mode. I didn't realize that Tesla offered bike racks for e-bikes and just purchased Kuat Transfer V2 which seems to work just fine on my 2021 Model X. Sensors go off when backing up but as long as I ignore the sensors and watch the camera carefully, everything turns off when I drive down the road. So far, so good, carrying two Gazelle electric bikes (just under 60 lbs with batteries on) through the mountains. Drove with just the rack on yesterday through some rough terrain (a ski parking lot!), raised the suspension and all went well. I am getting service done on Wednesday, so will inquire more with the tech that is scheduled to do the work and will report back if I learn anything new. I appreciate all your posts.

I'm confused - why aren't you just using Tow Mode? That eliminates the sensor issue completely. Or do you all have after-market racks?

My Kuat Transfer V2 can flip down as well as fold up, so you can access the rear hatch with bikes on the rack.

Reactions: JDEWD250
I'm confused - why aren't you just using Tow Mode? That eliminates the sensor issue completely. Or do you all have after-market racks?

My Kuat Transfer V2 can flip down as well as fold up, so you can access the rear hatch with bikes on the rack.
When using Tow Mode, my turn signal blinks at way faster interval than normal. I suspect it’s due to lack of electrical load on the tow plug connection. The car is expecting a turn signal lights on the trailer, may be?

I'm pretty sure I still get the yellow / red mustache in tow mode.. I'd have to double check though as it seems pretty useless when you're carry bikes (Kuat V2 base)

If I tilt down the hatch clears. I think if I only had a bike in the outer holder it also clears but so close that it may depend on the bike.