Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request ] Bike rack mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
@elon

There should be a “bike rack” mode whereby the rear parking sensors are disabled. Currently, with bike rack in place (loaded or unloaded) it causes a fault with the sensors and then disengages the front sensors with it.

A simple, “disable rear parking sensors” or “bike rack mode” would easily rectify this. I have tried using trailer mode but doesn’t seem to address the sensors triggering and faulting/shutting off the front.

I use a 1up single hitch rack that I effectively leave permanently mounted due to riding every other day or so and it’s annoying to see the errors and lose the front sensor/depth meters.

Can someone with a twitter send this to Elon? 😂

(Someone else posted to not open the tailgate without confirmation if something is suspected to be blocking it—excellent idea as well).

Upvote 0
When using Tow Mode, my turn signal blinks at way faster interval than normal. I suspect it’s due to lack of electrical load on the tow plug connection. The car is expecting a turn signal lights on the trailer, may be?

Last time I used it was more than 9 months ago. It’s possible the software has been updated and changed this behavior. I need to test it again to confirm.
I'll probably use mine tomorrow. Anything special? Or just put it in tow mode?

I'm on beta 2022.4.5.21 so that might make a diff. But if I do go out & remember, I'll report my signals

You are right. At first I thought not. The audible clicking doesn't seem to change but the flashing light does. It is in sync with the clicking normally but in tow it is at least twice as fast.
Someone could make a plug that's just a trailer plug with a resistor across each of the turn signal pins, would add the missing resistance. Zip tie or leash it to your bike rack.

I know, only a partial solution, since Tow mode also disables a lot of other stuff.

Still want a bike rack mode!

When using Tow Mode, my turn signal blinks at way faster interval than normal. I suspect it’s due to lack of electrical load on the tow plug connection. The car is expecting a turn signal lights on the trailer, may be?
I have the same issue... hyperflashing turn signals in trailer mode when using my bike carrier, like you said probably a lack of an electrical load. For now I prefer the hyperflashing than the rainbow moustache and awful beeping when in reverse/parking.

The odd thing is (at least with mine) is that the click sound is the same while the light flashing is faster.

The mustache and backup noise doesn't really bother me. As I can't use FSD in trailer mode, I rarely put trailer mode on

I'm confused - why aren't you just using Tow Mode? That eliminates the sensor issue completely.
Reasons for not using Tow Mode:
1. Autosteer is not available in Tow Mode
2. Trip calculations assume that you have the energy consumption corresponding to towing a trailer, so are very pessimistic (planning excessive numbers of charge stops)
That being said, regarding #2, as I have awkwardly discovered, regular mode underestimates charge consumption when the bike rack is on. As well as the parking sensor problem, this is another reason why we really need a bike rack mode.

Apart from that, I have not had some of the other problems listed with indicators (turn lights) when running a rack, but then I'm in Switzerland with a Euro Thule Easyfold XT3 rack that has a light and number board that connects to the car with a 13 pin plug, similar to a trailer.

Wow, I was really surprised when I put my Thule rack on the back and found this was an issue. Even my 2010 Dodge truck has a disable parking assist setting you can use so that it doesn't beep at you. Maybe it is not a huge priority issue, but for a car like the Y and X, and really for all of them, especially since it is obvious people will be using hitch racks, and the cars can be ordered with hitch receivers, it is a bit embarrassing. Come on, Elon!

Reactions: DerbyCityY
You can turn off "Park Assist Chimes" See. Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 5.23.29 PM.png

Reactions: VQTRVA
Does nothing for the rainbow mustache though. I know I said so that it doesn’t be bout you, but so that the alerts, both verbal and visual operate properly when there is a bike rack attached as designed.

I agree. Just tried this all out last night for the first time. The screen display showing the 'almost hitting' something mustache for the entire trip. With the chimes turned off, all the others that might be handy, were disabled too.

Given that so many folks use bike racks, this should be a reasonably significant priority for Tesla.

The fact that Tesla's have been around for a few years, and this has not been implemented isn't likely because it wasn't requested in the past. So I'm left pondering why this hasn't been added to all Teslas with tow hitches.