Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request ] Bike rack mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
@elon

There should be a “bike rack” mode whereby the rear parking sensors are disabled. Currently, with bike rack in place (loaded or unloaded) it causes a fault with the sensors and then disengages the front sensors with it.

A simple, “disable rear parking sensors” or “bike rack mode” would easily rectify this. I have tried using trailer mode but doesn’t seem to address the sensors triggering and faulting/shutting off the front.

I use a 1up single hitch rack that I effectively leave permanently mounted due to riding every other day or so and it’s annoying to see the errors and lose the front sensor/depth meters.

Can someone with a twitter send this to Elon? 😂

(Someone else posted to not open the tailgate without confirmation if something is suspected to be blocking it—excellent idea as well).

Upvote 0
I have the original ungodly spring design but assume the opening is the same for both. Anyone find a plug to 'winterize' it?
There's a great trailer hitch cover thing from a guy named Marco on these forums. He designed and made a bunch of them. I have one of the preorders and really like it.. really clean and easy way to take it on / off.

I recall he got blocked from TMC because he promoted it without following some guidelines.

Here's a thread about it.. highly recommend if you're open to something new and best design / solution I know of (assuming he's still making them)

Reactions: VQTRVA
thanks. read through it but I'm too cheap to plunk down $250. I think I paid $20 for the one I have and it works fine. I was looking for a right sized plug/grommet mostly for looks. I think the ungodly one probably does on/.off faster. I just pull it off. To get it on I line it up and push it on.

I imagine it was because you have to be an approved vendor.

And that's probably the ugliest solution I've seen. And $250, when you can simply snip off a few of the clips and have it come off easily and stay on securely, for $0 cost...?
I didn't have much luck doing that. I still found the cover hard to get off and still bent the clips putting it back on.

For $40 I got the https://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Cover-...qid=1670874768&sprefix=ungodly,aps,164&sr=8-1 one. Mine is an older spring clip not magnetic (which is probably even better). Goes on/off very easily. I put my rack on/take if off every day I ride.

I imagine it was because you have to be an approved vendor.

And that's probably the ugliest solution I've seen. And $250, when you can simply snip off a few of the clips and have it come off easily and stay on securely, for $0 cost...?
This was not just the plastic cover, it's the CNC machined metal hitch insert that's much higher quality than others floating around on Amazon, you spend 10 seconds to screw in the tool to pull it out.

The guy was covering cost for the low volume he made on the side.

I've only whacked it once so far (two years with the similar kuat).

I trained myself to mostly open the rear when out of the car. So say I come from the grocery store, I get out and open from the rear given that I have to get out anyway. I also hid the trunk opener in the app so I don't accidently press that (how I did the one whack)

I have the original ungodly spring design but assume the opening is the same for both. Anyone find a plug to 'winterize' it?
I have the magnetic one. I use a 3/4” rubber grommet to cover the hole. It’s very easy to remove but won’t drop by itself. I already had many miles driving with it on.

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpeg
    IMG_9839.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9800.jpeg
    IMG_9800.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 36