TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bike Rack Question

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Alset72, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alset72

Alset72 Member

I have never owned a bike rack for a hitch before, so this may be a newbie question.

I am using the Tesla Bike Rack (Yakima FullTilt 4). Instructions seem to indicate to slide the rack into hitch receiver until the "AutoPin" clicks into the hitch hole, but that does not seem deep enough, so I push it further until it can't be pushed in any further, then I tighten it.

Thoughts?

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

maybe a call into the Yakima support people would be in order

3. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I just reviewed Yakima's video. Most carriers have a manually installed pin. This thing has an "auto" pin.

You need to look into the pin hole on the receiver attached to the car to make sure the "auto pin" has deployed into the pin opening. Sounds like a risky system to me. If it has not deployed into the pin hole it cannot be secure.

4. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60 Vin 180XX. Reverved 8/11/2016

I used this rack to haul 4 bikes from Dallas to Mobile, AL and averaged 480WH/M vs 330WH/M without the bike rack. This rack carries the bikes high above the spoiler and creates lots of drag. On 1 stretch I had to go only 60 just to traverse the 124 miles between superchargers. I have a x60D with 202 mile range.

5. rainforest

rainforest Member

Isn't 4 bikes over the weight limit of the hitch?

6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Isn't the limit 500?

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Why are there 4 spots for bikes then? Tesla should only sell the 2 bike version then! :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1