Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Rack Recommendations? -- SF Bay Area -- 2020 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to install a 3-bike rack on my 2020 Model S. After reading a whole lot of threads on this, I'm looking to install a hitch and rack on the back and not a roof mounted system.

Any recommendations for installers in the SF Bay Area, particularly in the South Bay or Peninsula?

One installer quoted an eye-watering $2500:
$428 for the EcoHitch 2"
$650 for EcoHitch installation
$800 for the 2-bike rack
$380 for the 1-bike expansion
$75 for bike rack installation
+ tax

Thanks.

EcoHitch with a quality rack is the way to go.

A quality rack after you get the EcoHitch will run you about $800 bucks, no two ways about it. I really like the 1UpUSA racks for my mountain bikes. If you want powder coated Black, it's $795 for two bikes and about $250 for the 1 bike add on.

Seems like you might be able to save a few bucks on the Hitch Installation and why are you paying for "Bike rack installation"?

The EcoHitch installation involves removing your bumper, torquing the EcoHitch correctly to the frame, and then carving a hole in the little chrome body panel under the car and putting it back together. Having it done by someone with the right tools and a lift is worth it. "Bike rack installation" is not. You will be removing that bike rack yourself on occasion, so it's not something that requires professional installation.

I have a Yakima Full Swing, it's a 4 bike carrier and not as nice as the the tray-style racks that are mentioned in this thread, but half the price. It's a pain in the ass to get 4 bikes on it,.

The EcoHitch is low enough that you sometimes bottom out on a ramp. I am curious for people who own the Kuat or other tray mount if they end up hitting pavement sometimes?