Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Rack - Roof vs Trunk vs Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've got my new Model 3 LR and planning the annual (Okay so minus 1 year of Covid) trip to NSW and trying to decide if I use my Saris Bones rack which seemed to fit perfectly well on my old A4 or do I go buy a roof rack and bike carrier or should I splash out and get a towbar/hitch installed...

Hoping there is a huge bank of knowledge on what the best option is based on others experiences. Any help/advice/banter will be appreciated :)

Is there a huge difference in range with a roof mount vs anything on the back? It seems that there might be some additional wind resistance on the rook but equally a "parachute" type effect on the back... Anyway I'm sure all you Tesla experts will know the answer :D

Last edited:
Just wondering as i have been waiting for an email update + refresh order page, does the group know how long the roof racks on the Tesla store have been OOS? The US store was also OOS but now have them back again...

Even with a range hit, I'd go with a roof rack. I've done both, and roof is better for a long trip.
20200812_082914.jpg

Reactions: cdub and 0CO2
Where do you buy the tow hitch for the back of the car curiously ?
There’s a thread for that:

It's been a long time coming but there is now a fully complied tow bar option for the Model 3 in Australia. TOCA have achieved this compliance on behalf of its members and for the benefit of the Tesla community at large. Anyone is free to import and fit their own bar or buy one from a local...
The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!

Reactions: schnaxxl
There’s a thread for that:

It's been a long time coming but there is now a fully complied tow bar option for the Model 3 in Australia. TOCA have achieved this compliance on behalf of its members and for the benefit of the Tesla community at large. Anyone is free to import and fit their own bar or buy one from a local...
The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!
Cheers will pass that along as my old man was wanting to get one for his Tesla.

The sooner we get the cyber truck the better, in the meantime this will have to do.

I bought the Yakima window rail mount version because I just couldn’t get access to the Tesla rack. It doesn’t look as neat as the Tesla (Yakima) integrated roof rack but it is really easy to install and remove. No damage to the rails after I removed it so happy with that.

If anyone's interested; I use a hitch mounted rack on my 3LR. Just before xmas I did a trip with 6-7hrs of driving, 2 bikes on the back, and loaded to the brim with camping gear. Efficiency was down about 10-15% from normal. I think I've heard people losing 30+% on the roof....?

If anyone's interested; I use a hitch mounted rack on my 3LR. Just before xmas I did a trip with 6-7hrs of driving, 2 bikes on the back, and loaded to the brim with camping gear. Efficiency was down about 10-15% from normal. I think I've heard people losing 30+% on the roof....?
hard to see 30% with the relatively slim profile of a bike
I won’t ever be travelling a long distance with a bike, but I will have a roof box or a kayak on various journeys
that will be an interesting test of range

Still waiting for my M3LR to turn up this quarter but have a question.

Does anyone know of or recommend a bike rack to fit a dual suspension mountain bike to fit the M3 without the use of roof racks or a towbar. I live regionally and need all the range I can get on a day to day basis as it's not uncommon for me to be driving 400km+ in a day without the ability to get to a charge station, so don't really want to be running the roof racks on all the time. Just have a want to carry the bike once every week or two.