Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a bike rack to put on the trunk (not hitch or roof) and I have found many that are on sale right now, but Im not sure if they'll fit or not. I looked on the company sites to see if any of them will fit my car, but they don't include Teslas in their lists. Has anyone had experience with this?

Just curious as to why you don't one like a Seasucker that fits on the roof.

Second the Seasucker, you can mount on the trunk lid with the rear wheel on the roof, so you are not lifting up the bike too high and keeps the center of gravity lower and the bike a bit more shielded from the wind.

I have had one for past 6 years, it's great, no problems and goes on and off easily. I have the ski rack as well which has also been great.

Second the Seasucker, you can mount on the trunk lid with the rear wheel on the roof, so you are not lifting up the bike too high and keeps the center of gravity lower and the bike a bit more shielded from the wind.

I have had one for past 6 years, it's great, no problems and goes on and off easily. I have the ski rack as well which has also been great.
Awesome, thanks! will have to try it out

I am a big fan of Saris Bone rack. It conforms to many trunk "types" and can be very easily ajusted.
Have you actually used this on Model 3? Any photos? Looks like an economical option.

As far as the SeaSucker...the only one(s) I see that seem like they would work for a bike require removal of the front wheel...if I'm going to that much trouble I can just put the bike in the trunk.

I am a big fan of Saris Bone rack. It conforms to many trunk "types" and can be very easily ajusted.

Have you actually used this on Model 3? Any photos? Looks like an economical option.

I have the Saris Bone 2 - I've re-engineered the top to vacuum clamp to the rear window of my i3 and it works well with it. I don't think that bike rack will be a good option for the Model 3 as there is no bumper lip to rest the lower supports like the one you see in the i3 in the picture.
20171015_111120.jpg

I have the Saris Bone 2 - I've re-engineered the top to vacuum clamp to the rear window of my i3 and it works well with it. I don't think that bike rack will be a good option for the Model 3 as there is no bumper lip to rest the lower supports like the one you see in the i3 in the picture. View attachment 342272
This picture needs a trigger warning. Haha. So much many straps and feet scratching the paint :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: mekberg
There's no paint to scratch, it's all glass. What could go wrong!? :)
It actually works pretty well - there is no metal surface touching the glass. I made this initially for our Leaf which we traded in for the Model 3, so now the i3 gets to carry the bikes.
so have you tried it on the Model 3? If not, would you and post some pictures and your assessment? I need to make a decision. thanks

so have you tried it on the Model 3? If not, would you and post some pictures and your assessment? I need to make a decision. thanks
Here's how it looks. I think the top is sturdy but am not quite comfortable how the bottom legs sit on the bumper. Maybe a friction pad or something might help keep the leg pads from slipping and better redistribute the loading. Since I have a working alternative
20181010_084033.jpg
20181010_084015.jpg
in my i3 I am not going to explore this any further.

Here's how it looks. I think the top is sturdy but am not quite comfortable how the bottom legs sit on the bumper. Maybe a friction pad or something might help keep the leg pads from slipping and better redistribute the loading. Since I have a working alternativeView attachment 342465 View attachment 342466 in my i3 I am not going to explore this any further.
Hmm...ok, thanks. Still not sure how the base model (sans suction cups) would work. Could the bottom feet perch on the trunk rather than the bumper?

It's been a while, I'm going to bump this thread as 'bike season' has started and I really want a solution. Has anyone used the Sea Sucker successfully on the Model 3? Any other options that have been tried? I'm in the rather not a hitch mount or roof mount camp as well as the "I don't wanna take of the wheel" camp.

I came here looking for recommendations for racks that mount to the Tesla roof rack. (Didn't realize it was for non roof racks, but title wasn't specific.. Hoping we can multitask)
I'm looking for a wheel-on rack for a mountain bike. Was curious if racks from Yakima can use the T-slots, or if you just have to go with clamps to connect to the bar.

I came here looking for recommendations for racks that mount to the Tesla roof rack. (Didn't realize it was for non roof racks, but title wasn't specific.. Hoping we can multitask)
I'm looking for a wheel-on rack for a mountain bike. Was curious if racks from Yakima can use the T-slots, or if you just have to go with clamps to connect to the bar.
You can buy the T-slot adapter kit for some Yamika racks:
SmarT-Slot Kit 1
I'm currently waiting for mine to be delivered (rack and adapter kit)