Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Racks or Hitch Rack/System Ideas for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been researching the Torklift EcoHitch and it looks like a great solution but here's a follow up question:

In some of the installation videos I saw that the installer had to cut out an oval shaped hole in the underside of the Model S. And then some folks recommended that Torklift also sells what they call an "Undercover" to cover up that hole when the hitch system is not in use. Now my problem is that I visit dirt roads quite often and having that "undercover" thing would be a must for me. But Torklift website says that that undercover is meant for only the 2012-2015 Model S. And my car is a 2016 Model S. So my question is that

1) What year Model S do you have?
2) If someone here has a 2016 Model S then how does one cover that hole?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

2015 P85D. I have the cover that I use for the winter months. During the summer, I keep the hitch mount on all the time with a plastic plug cover for the 2" receptacle. Works great!!!!

I have had the torklift hitch installed in all three of our Model S's. I use the

I have carried my zero fx, my Trek Madone 6.7 SSL and my Pedego Electric bikes on this hitch. I can carry four 50 lb bikes.
The Torklift website states that the tongue weight should not exceed 200lbs. Would mounting 4 bikes on this Yakima be pushing it with this hitch? I don't know how it compares to other hitches on trucks, etc but doesn't 200lbs seem very low? Just curious what your thoughts are on the tongue weight specs of the EcoHitch. Thanks

I've had no issues. I figure the legal guys make them put and unrealistically low number so that if it fails you have no legal recourse.

it depends on which bikes you load. I have an 11 pound trek road bike on one extreme and a 165 lbs zero fox on the oth r extreme with batteries removed.

I recommend the SeaSucker Talon. It uses powerful, marine grade vacuum cups, leaves no marks, is super easy to put on and remove and works perfectly. They have a number of models, but I like the Talon because it is a single bike mount, and you can just put one on when you are carrying a single bike, or install two carrying two bikes. I have been racing bicycles for many years and have used a lot of different racks. If you care about your CAR and your BIKES, this is the one.

Reactions: Richg
I recommend the SeaSucker Talon. It uses powerful, marine grade vacuum cups, leaves no marks, is super easy to put on and remove and works perfectly. They have a number of models, but I like the Talon because it is a single bike mount, and you can just put one on when you are carrying a single bike, or install two carrying two bikes. I have been racing bicycles for many years and have used a lot of different racks. If you care about your CAR and your BIKES, this is the one.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. Don't know why but the sea sucker just seems too scary in that if the suction cup came off while the bike was mounted on it, especially if it were to happen on the highway. That would be a catastrophic disaster for everyone involved.

I totally agree, they're used by several of my fellow model S road bikers. They have buttons on them that show at a glance if there is any vacuume issue. Very easy to put on and off. Read the reviews.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. Don't know why but the sea sucker just seems too scary in that if the suction cup came off while the bike was mounted on it, especially if it were to happen on the highway. That would be a catastrophic disaster for everyone involved.
We used them on a drive from SoCal to Bend Oregon and back with two $10k bikes on the roof. We averaged about 75mph, but often above 85mph on some stretches. No issues. They work especially good on glass. They aren't designed to stay on the car when not in use. You remove them when you don't have bikes to haul. Putting them on takes 90 seconds per unit. Taking them off takes 30 seconds. That is the beauty of them.

We used them on a drive from SoCal to Bend Oregon and back with two $10k bikes on the roof. We averaged about 75mph, but often above 85mph on some stretches. No issues. They work especially good on glass. They aren't designed to stay on the car when not in use. You remove them when you don't have bikes to haul. Putting them on takes 90 seconds per unit. Taking them off takes 30 seconds. That is the beauty of them.

Exactly my experience. Never a concern. Easy on, easy off and total flexibility.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
On my MS w/ a 2” receiver the Yakima Full Swing works excellently. You have to be a lil careful as you swing the bikes outta the way.
It’s effortless though..... as there are two pivot points that make it so. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• 057C9220-9218-465A-8FCD-7AE4AD9EDC25.jpeg
    057C9220-9218-465A-8FCD-7AE4AD9EDC25.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 75D7530D-4104-41FD-8DE7-EE1EA6F573E8.jpeg
    75D7530D-4104-41FD-8DE7-EE1EA6F573E8.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 93
  • A7C54275-9498-4947-8DB9-60EC6057A081.jpeg
    A7C54275-9498-4947-8DB9-60EC6057A081.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 0F97403D-3BBB-4B70-A787-2B7861ED9234.jpeg
    0F97403D-3BBB-4B70-A787-2B7861ED9234.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 0C5E0862-634A-4F7C-BCB1-2B77A27089B7.jpeg
    0C5E0862-634A-4F7C-BCB1-2B77A27089B7.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 345957DE-9290-4BA0-96BE-1BB0E51E6BF5.jpeg
    345957DE-9290-4BA0-96BE-1BB0E51E6BF5.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 87
  • CC8C008A-B86E-446C-9B45-361827F59967.jpeg
    CC8C008A-B86E-446C-9B45-361827F59967.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 3F68C15B-E355-4688-9F1F-6C6D318548A4.png
    3F68C15B-E355-4688-9F1F-6C6D318548A4.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 83
  • D4C98260-8FCB-4D37-83AC-748AE783D944.png
    D4C98260-8FCB-4D37-83AC-748AE783D944.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 5091D99B-6955-471E-B93C-92FA6930F3AC.png
    5091D99B-6955-471E-B93C-92FA6930F3AC.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 88
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
The Torklift website states that the tongue weight should not exceed 200lbs. Would mounting 4 bikes on this Yakima be pushing it with this hitch? I don't know how it compares to other hitches on trucks, etc but doesn't 200lbs seem very low? Just curious what your thoughts are on the tongue weight specs of the EcoHitch. Thanks
I agree that the rating is pretty low but I wouldn't push it. My Cayenne's tongue weight rating is 600lbs so it is a true class 2 hitch. The Torklift is a lightweight but very convenient. If I could figure a way to reinforce it, I would but I don't think that's realistic if the weak part of the chain is the rear end of the vehicle frame (as opposed to a weakness in the Torklift part itself).

I have a P85DL and use the sea sucker mount for carrying my bike when I'm traveling. It is excellent, leaves no marks.

I recommend the SeaSucker Talon. It uses powerful, marine grade vacuum cups, leaves no marks, is super easy to put on and remove and works perfectly.

Those of you who carry bikes on the roof of a Model S, what percent reduction in range are you seeing?

It would also be useful to hear:
What ype of bikes that you carry (Road, MTB, etc)?
How many bikes?
Wheel on or off?

I've been surprised to learn from another owner that at 55-65 mph he is seeing an average of a 28% decrease in range with the hitch bike rack on a MS. This is surprising to me, I didn't expect to see anywhere near this big of a range reduction with bikes behind the car, especially considering his slower speeds. When I road with a bike, I average more like 75-80 mph. Still trying to decide between roof rack or hitch rack on my MS.

Hitch Installation & Impact on Range, Updated 10/15/13 | Tesla

Bump...
Those of you who carry bikes on the roof of a Model S, what percent reduction in range are you seeing?

How many bikes?
Wheel on or off?

I've been surprised to learn from another owner that at 55-65 mph he is seeing an average of a 28% decrease in range with the hitch bike rack on a MS. This is surprising to me, I didn't expect to see anywhere near this big of a range reduction with bikes behind the car, especially considering his slower speeds. When I road with a bike, I average more like 75-80 mph. Still trying to decide between roof rack or hitch rack on my MS.

How many bikes?
Wheel on or off?

I’ll try and pull some data from teslafi... it’s definitely a significant range hit, especially at higher speeds... but is very manageable with superchargers. My longest trip with bikes so far was ~400mi each way... with 4 bikes on the roof.

I have been using the sea sucker talon with great success. Extremely easy to use.
However, i am getting too physically unfit to ride a standard road bike and want to go electric.
They all seem to weigh around 23kg or around 47lbs. Even removing the battery is likely to only reduce weight by about 6lbs. Much too heavy to manhandle onto a roof.
Torklift do not export to Australia and their is no option to get a tow bar.mounted on the S in Australia. The ideal carrier for an electric bike is a hitch mounted platform system with ramp. Given that this is impossible for the S in Australia, does anyone have any other solution? Tailgate mounted racks are lower, but i fear the weight is likely to damage the tailgate.
Thanks