TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bike Racks?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by CaptDaveHowe, May 10, 2013.

1. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

Besides wanting a car with no exhaust, I like to ride my bike. I had a Mini with bike racks, a great way to bring my bike to various places to ride. Any ideas about bike racks for Model S? The racks Mini had designed for the Cooper looked great, being designed to match. It would be cool and really enhancing the "Green" concept of the Model S to have the same.

2. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

#2 wstuff, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    I know the top of the S is designed for roof racks already ( there are inserts in the roof) so I would be pretty sure bikes are a main target.

3. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Check out my thread on the Torklift Central Eco Hitch for the Model S and my hitch bike rack.....

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13787-Torklift-Central-Eco-Hitch-Installed-Pictures?highlight=Eco+hitch

Aaron

4. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

I heard that the roof rack sockets/inserts are only there if you get the Pano roof. (not sure if that's correct or not, but wanted to mention it just in case...)

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Correct that the roof rack mounts are only there on the piano roof. Also note that Tesla has not released a roof rack yet, and says that others won't fit. Although I seem to recall a thread where somebody said they found one that worked.

I have the same hitch as Aaron, but a different bike rack. My pics are in this thread: Model S - Hitch discussion - Page 9

6. dbullard

dbullard Member

My bikes fit quite nicely inside when you fold the rear seats down.

Less room for other things, but you could probably fit two bikes in that way.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

8. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

Thanks for the ideas and links. Thinking about it, the rear concept on a trailer type hitch seems like it is the way to go. The roof rake (like I had with the Mini) has it's drawbacks, the biggest being once up, you'll never take it off. I'll check out the units noted on the two links from Aaron and Chad.

9. efxjim

efxjim Member

Ditto on the hitch. Good for attaching other things and can be removed. If hitch adapter is left on car it is much more susceptible to bottoming out. I give the suspension height adjusters a good workout.

10. mckemie

mckemie Member

I've had my TorkLift hitch on for several days now; it doesn't look like ground clearance will be a problem if the receiver is left on all the time. I do plan to leave it on. I've used hitch bike racks for a while now, including on my Leaf, and I pleased with them. Before I install the TorkLift, we took a ~200 mile trip with two bicycles inside the Tesla. That worked ok but loading and unloading was more of a hassle than I wanted.

11. rsusi

rsusi Member

I am interested in the Torklift for my Model S, I would like to do the installation myself. The video on installation only shows the install after the black plastic bumper has been removed. I sent an email to Torklift asking for further info on how to remove and reinstall the black plastic bumper. It has been several weeks and no reply. Do the instructions that come with the lift detail how to remove the exterior bumper?

12. Leland

Leland Member

The instructions that come with the tow package are pretty thorough PM me your email address, I'll email them over.

13. rsusi

rsusi Member

Thanks, I got a set from Torklift via email. Looks like i can do it my self.
    Will order the tow bar shortly.