Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bikes lane-splitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really enjoy using AP on rush hour traffic and it had significantly lowered my morning/evening commute stress level

However, AP is doing so well at keeping the car centered in the lane. I have had many encounters with bikers lane-splitting passing me while I'm on the HOV lane and they always seem to be too close to the car while passing. I'm not blaming them for passing since that's a perfectly legal thing to do here, I just want to know if there is a way to configure AP to recognize bikes passing and make some maneuvers to make room for them.

This is not me but I thought it sums up why we need such a feature.

I don't see how states allow this, given our nanny-state of helmet, seat-belt, and hot coffee laws, you'd think this would have been gone long ago. I got my class M years ago and would love to use a bike on the open road but too many inattentive drivers in suburbans have caused me to rethink this. Lane Splitting is a risk that's not needed.

Even if the car 'legally' has to move... how many automotive fatalities have occurred because a bike hit a car? zero? negative? The bike operator is at risk. Fines are meaningless next to loss of life. I'll stick to a car, and if I bike, I'm never splitting a lane.

I commute on an interstate with fairly heavy traffic where a lot of motorcycles split lanes. My solution has been to never use AP when driving in the #1 lane. I'll generally set up shop in the #2 lane during my evening commute and run AP there.

I've seen mirrors get deliberately decked, much harder than this guy, usually for someone taking up the whole right side of the #1 lane and not making room at all. You never can be sure if the motorcyclist passing you is just some guy coming home from work, or a member of an outlaw club (Mongols and Vagos are seen frequently where I drive).

I don't see how states allow this, given our nanny-state of helmet, seat-belt, and hot coffee laws, you'd think this would have been gone long ago. I got my class M years ago and would love to use a bike on the open road but too many inattentive drivers in suburbans have caused me to rethink this. Lane Splitting is a risk that's not needed.

Even if the car 'legally' has to move... how many automotive fatalities have occurred because a bike hit a car? zero? negative? The bike operator is at risk. Fines are meaningless next to loss of life. I'll stick to a car, and if I bike, I'm never splitting a lane.
Never splitting lanes on a bike ? :)
I am ready to gamble 1000$ that if you buy a bike, you'll do it !

There's *sugar* in the far left that I don't want to run over. I'll move to the left a little from center but don't expect me to puncture my tire for you, especially if you are riding a wide bike.

As a driver you don't have to legally move over or make room, at least not how it's written in California.

As a rider, I don't mind if people don't move over just be consistent and predictable. It's 100% the rider's responsibility to lane split safely. There's a time and a place for lane splitting and I'd rather split than risk the guy behind me not seeing me in traffic and rear ending me. With experience you get a good sense of who the idiot drivers are and move around them accordingly.

Reactions: xanatos
Code varies by State but here’s an article in Electrek today on this subject. Happened in California:

https://electrek.co/2019/06/05/tesla-lane-splitting-motorcycle-hitting-model-3-autopilot/

Personally as a driver who would Never want to take out a biker trying to pass, I hate this lane splitting. It does put people at risk, both biker and motorist if there’s damage or injuries. I get why bikers want to be out in front of the pack but there’s risk involved in not being spotted and it can and has meant someone’s life. You know it’s never good for the biker laying down on the road waiting for cop and ambulance to arrive. Worst feeling to see driving past.

Wind can blow sound away from you and you can get caught unaware of anyone trying this maneuver. Here in California we have had a few times where a biker has come out of no where, maybe switched from another lane prior or hidden behind a truck, but suddenly he was there zooming past you. No sound heard or visual of him approaching. You just keep hoping you don’t see him lying in traffic as you drive further ahead.

I guess when roadways are more clogged with BEVs, bikers won’t be sitting behind and inhaling fumes. Technology today can’t be relied on to provide a warning of a lane-splitter. Just be safe out there everyone.

@MacGreiner it’s good to know some bikers don’t see this as a smart thing to do. I know we are all at risk from vehicles making sudden stops ahead of you or the driver behind you maybe distracted on a phone that could rear end you but with no real protection around you it’s a tough call either way.

Damn I hate those organ donors, but it's legal in California.

I used to get tons of waves from bikers because I'd always move my land yacht Mercedes over left to let them pass.

However, i consigned myself to driving like Batman in lane 1 and moving over to the right when I'm letting the autopilot do it's job. The right lane is designed for people with quirky driving skill (or at least it should be).

airplane-movie-autopilot.jpg

Reactions: Rex Kramer
You weren't hugging the line. Combined space from yours and next lane seems to be enough for most bikes. Don't split lanes if you are too scared.

If on AP, next time just raise your hands off the steering wheel and act scared.

I'm saying all this but if I see it's a pack of Mongols im hugging the left, giving them the thumbs up haha.

Happened to me yesterday. And the mirror must be manually put back into place.

Mark

Careless motorcycle on HW87 California

Your video here deserves a call out for people to see. People Please Watch. You need to know some bikers out there are doing this and it could happen to you and you might not be immediately aware driving that it has. Grabbing a mirror like that biker did is dangerous and others have said this kind of stuff is happening to drivers of cars.

It's only California that legally allows lane splitting.