TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bill Nye Says NASCAR Should Lead Way To All-Electric Cars - Perhaps With Teslas

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Curt Renz, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Link To HuffPost Business Article

“And most significant from my point of view, everyone in the crowd, every race fan, would want an electric car! The market for electric cars would go crazy. Manufacturers could not produce them fast enough. We could convert our transportation system to all-electric in less time than it took to go from horse-drawn to horseless carriage, 20 years maybe."

“…even unmodified Teslas straight off the showroom floor…”

2. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Bill Nye Wants NASCAR To Lead Way To All-Electric Cars - Perhaps With Teslas

“And most significant from my point of view, everyone in the crowd, every race fan, would want an electric car! The market for electric cars would go crazy. Manufacturers could not produce them fast enough. We could convert our transportation system to all-electric in less time than it took to go from horse-drawn to horseless carriage, 20 years maybe."

“…even unmodified Teslas straight off the showroom floor…”

Link To The HuffPost Business Article

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They would power limit after a lap though.

4. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Formula E already exists and unfortunately it is underwhelming in the current state. OTOH, the electrics are ruling almost all classes at Pike's Peak, so maybe it's a matter of having the right set of rules.

5. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Perhaps that can be resolved with a higher performance cooling system?

6. gene

gene Active Member

Right on Bill Nye!!!

7. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

Bill bill bill bill!!!

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I admire and respect Bill Nye, but he does not appear to know much about race cars. Unfortunately Teslas as of now aren't much of a thrill for racing since they overheat rapidly when driven to the max and then the software limits power to the motor.
    Formula E race cars are amazing and are designed to handle the high motor temperatures when running hard but they can't do very many consecutive laps.
    It will be more than a few years before there are EVs that can compete with NASCAR ICE cars.

9. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

I'd love to see an EV endurance race. But NASCAR is not ready even for hybrids, they use dinosaur carburetor pushrod V8s for crying out loud!! (since you won't be able to hear me over the noise, and such) ;)

10. djplong

djplong Member

Now now.... NASCAR switched to fuel injection four years ago. They're still pushrod V8s, but no carburetors!

11. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Not only would the Teslas overheat after a lap, electric cars still don't have the range to do a 500 mile race without stopping to recharge several times. It would make a really boring race if all the cars had to pull into the pits for 90 minutes to recharge every 100 miles (the range would go down quite a bit with continuous driving over 100 mph). It might advance the technology for quick chargers, but it would make cricket look fast paced.

12. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

#12 glhs272, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    umm... battery swap? I bet it can be done faster than a fill-up with a well designed and practiced system... a race car that is, not a Tesla Model S, but a similar principal. They change tires several times during a race, why not batteries?

13. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Forgot about that. Good point.

I suppose they could overcome the overheating problems to at least some degree with a heavy duty cooling system in the frunk.

14. glhs272

15. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

I hate to be a Nye-sayer, and I'd love to see it but.....

NASCAR is loud as hell. Do they even have mufflers?? That earth shaking sound is something that a lot of people really get a charge out of. (oops, wrong word).

I just can't see the regular Nascar fan getting excited about silent cars. I think they would revolt. (oops, I did it again) It's just NOT a cultural fit. I could see it eventually happening, just not in 5 or 10 years. Maybe 30.

16. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Isn't NASCAR more about sponsors (ads) than cars anyway? The cars don't excite me in the least.

17. glhs272

Yeah I agree. It's more of a cultural issue than a technical one. It seems formula one might be more accepting. Let's see how Formula E pans out.

18. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

Nye is a boring pencil-necked geek who obviously knows nothing about NASCAR, probably never even been to a race. To make statements about what they *should* do reflects on his pseudo-intellectual persona...yeah i'm a redneck and i like racin'

• Like x 1
  19. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Finally, a practical use for the battery swap station! :)

20. rays427

rays427 Member

The sound is a big part of any car race. In Formula 1 the fans are complaining about the lack of sound since the cars started using hybrid technology.