Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bill Of Sale vs. Order Agreement - crucial Ontario EHVIP rebate impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Order Agreement, which only has my name on it as I used my credit card when initially reserving the car, is obviously what generated the VIN for my Model 3, although it does not include the VIN or the names of the owner(s). However, for this exciting milestone, I wish for my wife to be co-owner of our first Tesla. I have already indicated on MY Tesla account page that I want the car co-registered as such, and uploaded wife's related data. I am assuming that when picking up the car at the delivery center, there will be a proper Bill Of Sale (Purchase Agreement) exchanging hands that should have both our names and signatures on it as well as matching names on the car registration?

The Ontario EHVIP application form for rebate clearly specifies:
"The name(s) listed as the applicant on the application form, must match the names listed on the Vehicle Registration and the Bill Of Sale. If they do not match, the application will be denied." The government does not care for any "order" form, just the "bill of sale" form. This could be an important "gotcha" to resolve for all rebate potentials!

Could anyone clarify, either based on past Tesla ownership or when talking to their assigned Tesla DS that a proper Bill Of Sale is provided? Also, the insurance agent will require a copy of the bill of sale for insurance coverage of the vehicle that includes the VIN and all particulars/options etc. with the names of the co-owners clearly stated.

The Order Agreement, which only has my name on it as I used my credit card when initially reserving the car, is obviously what generated the VIN for my Model 3, although it does not include the VIN or the names of the owner(s). However, for this exciting milestone, I wish for my wife to be co-owner of our first Tesla. I have already indicated on MY Tesla account page that I want the car co-registered as such, and uploaded wife's related data. I am assuming that when picking up the car at the delivery center, there will be a proper Bill Of Sale (Purchase Agreement) exchanging hands that should have both our names and signatures on it as well as matching names on the car registration?

The Ontario EHVIP application form for rebate clearly specifies:
"The name(s) listed as the applicant on the application form, must match the names listed on the Vehicle Registration and the Bill Of Sale. If they do not match, the application will be denied." The government does not care for any "order" form, just the "bill of sale" form. This could be an important "gotcha" to resolve for all rebate potentials!

Could anyone clarify, either based on past Tesla ownership or when talking to their assigned Tesla DS that a proper Bill Of Sale is provided? Also, the insurance agent will require a copy of the bill of sale for insurance coverage of the vehicle that includes the VIN and all particulars/options etc. with the names of the co-owners clearly stated.
This is exactly what happened for our Model X last June. I put down the deposit but the car was to be registered in both my wife and my name. The bill of sale and registration did reflect that. No issues with receiving the rebate. But it is up to you to specify that to your DA and make sure all the paperwork is in order before you leave with the car. They did confirm those facts with me when I got “the call” recently for our upcoming Model 3 delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: noicepls