Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bill to Extend EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
Exclusive: U.S. lawmakers introduce bill to boost electric car tax credits - Reuters

This is what I wrote this morning to those who represent me in Congress:

I am quite supportive of the intent of the Senate bill announced today to extend the EV (electric vehicle) tax credit. However, rather than having it apply to a specific number of vehicles per manufacturer, I would recommend a single sunset date be set for all manufacturers. This would encourage the laggards and not relatively penalize those automakers that were early to introduce electrification. I would suggest a date around 2025.

Others here may also want to write Congress.

Yep, by limiting it by number of vehicles per manufacturer, they penalize those who make cars people want to buy.

Make it a set number across all makers, and then whoever builds what people want, takes the lion share.

Reactions: Curt Renz
Exclusive: U.S. lawmakers introduce bill to boost electric car tax credits - Reuters

This is what I wrote this morning to those who represent me in Congress:

I am quite supportive of the intent of the Senate bill announced today to extend the EV (electric vehicle) tax credit. However, rather than having it apply to a specific number of vehicles per manufacturer, I would recommend a single sunset date be set for all manufacturers. This would encourage the laggards and not relatively penalize those automakers that were early to introduce electrification. I would suggest a date around 2025.

Others here may also want to write Congress.

100% agree with the idea. Matter of fact the Obama administration proposed something similar to that in 2014 but that died in the budget process.

From Wike:
"In March 2014 the Obama Administration included a provision in the FY2015 Budget to increase the maximum tax credit for plug-in electric vehicles and other advanced vehicles to US$10,000. However, the new maximum tax credit would not apply to luxury vehicles with a sales price of over US$45,000, which would be capped at US$7,500. The proposal sought to remove the 200,000 vehicle cap per manufacturer after which the credit phases out over a year. Instead, the incentives would begin to phase out—falling to 75% of the current credit—starting in 2019 for all manufacturers, and would be completely phased out by 2022; this did not get included in the Budget.[268]"

I'm sure we'd see a lot more EV participation if that had passed.

• Informative
I am really shocked by this even making the news first of all let alone seeing who is sponsoring the bill. Debbie Stabenow from Michigan .. where I am a resident and had to go to Ohio to buy my M3 because TESLA isn't allowed to sell here. I am planing on writing to support this bill but also bring into the fact we live in the Auto Capital of the World .. as long as it is not EV.

Mike

I am really shocked by this even making the news first of all let alone seeing who is sponsoring the bill. Debbie Stabenow from Michigan .. where I am a resident and had to go to Ohio to buy my M3 because TESLA isn't allowed to sell here. I am planing on writing to support this bill but also bring into the fact we live in the Auto Capital of the World .. as long as it is not EV.

Mike

GM lobby probably has more to do with her than anything else.

Unfortunately would not surprise me .. I am not a conspiratorial person by nature but the lack of support given to alt energy in this state is horrible. My email ( utilizing Curt Renz verbiage) to my reps including Stabenow.

I am extremely please to see news of this bill being considered for the State of Michigan. I have a couple of points to address as a new owner of an EV.

Also there is a great contradiction in Michigan being the Great Lakes State and home of the Auto Capital of the World. It seems like we are the Auto Capital as long as they are NOT EV AUTOS as my car, a TESLA, was needed to be purchased in Ohio as I could not purchase one in Michigan. This just stinks of special interest.

Also, the lack of incentives offered by the local utility companies to support consumers looking for sustainable energy is very disappointing. My utility, DTE, proudly displays solar energy as a main attraction of their website but calling and switching my residential service to a more favorable plan to support my EV took a tremendous amount of patience and persistence. Little to no support whatsoever. The paradigm needs to shift and hopefully this bill can get some legs to attract the attention it deserves.

Respectfully yours,

Michael D. Hycki

• Helpful
I support this bill wholeheartedly and will express it by emailing my representative.
In fact I wish there was a rebate along with the tax credit as many lower income families aren’t really able to take advantage of the entire 7k credit.

We NEED to accelerate our transition to electric vehicles. The current pace is too slow.
We are spending billions on wars and jack s*** on anything humanity needs to thrive

neither side should be subsidized. if you build a better product, people will buy it. gov't should not be picking winners and losers.

I couldn't agree more but if you really look into it Americans are subsidized in so many ways ( starting with the subsidized water they use to make coffee in the morning and the tee-shirt they put on made with subsidized cotton ) that the whole idea of government not picking winners and losers will never happen. That ship sailed long ago and there is no turning back.

If we stopped subsidizing oil, I can't calculate how much the price of gas would skyrocket - and I don't mean just the tens of billions in direct subsidies that the oil companies get. If we charged the oil companies for the military costs of securing their oil supplies - the price leaves the stratosphere and heads into outer space.

So, yes. I agree. We shouldn't be picking winners. But, until the playing field is level, I support this bill (though I would be in more support of a bill that had a time-based deadline instead of a vehicle count deadline)

If we stopped subsidizing oil, I can't calculate how much the price of gas would skyrocket - and I don't mean just the tens of billions in direct subsidies that the oil companies get. If we charged the oil companies for the military costs of securing their oil supplies - the price leaves the stratosphere and heads into outer space.

So, yes. I agree. We shouldn't be picking winners. But, until the playing field is level, I support this bill (though I would be in more support of a bill that had a time-based deadline instead of a vehicle count deadline)
at least the vehicle count will give the same benefit to each automaker/buyer.
though there should be a limit. say 50 or 60k for the benefit. 7500 on a 120k auto is no incentive, it's a giveaway.