TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Billings, MT Supercharger

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Vger, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Vger

Vger Active Member

Just found the permit.

It is at the Big Horn Resort, at the west edge of the city.

I have it on good authority that construction will start immanently. Local scouts or through-travellers, batter up!

Attached Files:

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#2 scottf200, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Hopefully Great Falls, MT is on the horizon. I'd like to get to Glacier National Park.
    24S9oGe.png
    xyVyd4n.png
    wIpSDSe.png

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

It looks like there will be an SC in the Bozeman area which would be a better run (185) than straight from Billings (217). 200+ miles in Montana looks kind of dicey to me, even in an 85.

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

Tesla has indicated that Bozeman will follow Billings and Coeur D'Alene (this summer).

5. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Yeah, I know. However, I'm pretty jaded about anything that has Tesla and a date in the same sentence.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Bozeman is on our side of the event horizon...it will happen soon...

7. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

I'm on my way back from Ontario to B.C. I contemplated trying to span the gap from Rapid City to Ritzville, but it seems somewhat risky, and wouldn't actually take any less time than going all the way by Superchargers! (Drive 400 km, wait, probably overnight, drive 400 km,, wait, probably overnight, ...) So what's an extra 2200 km? (4000 vs 1800, Rapid City to Seattle via the two routes). The scenery in Colorado and Utah is hard to beat, anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! :)

Give it a year, though, and all this will start to become a distant memory. The end result is just so freaking awesome.

8. Vger

Vger Active Member

I did that gap. It adds about a day over what I have done previously in a gas car.

- - - Updated - - -

One has to consider the exact source of this information. The stuff I cited above comes from a specific and credible source, who knows every detail of the deployment program.

9. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

I just got off the phone with the assistant Manager at the Big Horn Resort in Billings, MT 1801 Majestic Ln, Billings, MT 59102 (406)839-9300 and she said the Billings Supercharger was installed last Friday (7/18/14) and 4 chargers are up and ready to be used. I will be hosting, Hillar from BC, Canada tonight or tomorrow night and he just might get to be the first person to use the first Montana Supercharger. I just left Hillar a voice mail to let him know that Billings is open. If I wasn't going camping this weekend in the mountains, I would plan a trip to Billings to check it all out. The assistant manager did say that it was easy to see and conveniently located near the front entrance of the resort.

10. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

It's officially up on the Tesla Supercharger list, but not map. I may swing up there to check it out and christen it today.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they added the dot to the map. Three week turn around from permit to active--not bad.

11. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

I just checked my Navigation Screen and Billings is now up on the Supercharger locations list.

12. Tinky

Tinky Member

Tesla shows it open today 7/23/14

13. KJD

KJD Member

Who is going to be the first one to post a photo of their Tesla charging at Billings ?
    :smile:

14. JohnMc

JohnMc Member

I noticed that the permit was issued on Aug 1st but it wasn't stumbled upon until the 13th by Vger and opened on 7/23. I wonder if (and hope) some of the other SC's locations along the I90 route are further along in construction than any of us are aware of?? Fingers crossed that they are.:smile:

15. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

16. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

17. KJD

KJD Member

Well done Bighorn, Well done.

18. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

Thank You for the Update Image and congratulations for using the very first Montana Supercharger! I am so psyched that Billings in now a free destination for me, forever! I will be planning a Billings, Red Lodge to Cooke City trip ASAP!

19. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Nice picture, Bighorn.

Wonder if Tesla will put a charger at the Little Bighorn Battlefield. There is dot close to there on the 2014 Tesla map...

There is also a dot at Bozeman. Wonder how long until the second Montana Supercharger?

20. Vger

Vger Active Member

DrGuest, You can now vote yourself off your own charging island! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

My contact at Tesla indicated that Coeur D'Alene and Bozeman would follow fairly quickly after Billings. I have tried several times to dig out their permits, but without success. Someone at TMC Connect mentioned that Gillette and Sheridan, WY are coming soon as well, but I do not know what the source of their info might have been.