TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Bing Versus Google

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Innervision, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Innervision

Innervision New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    #1 Innervision, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    As you may know Microsoft’s new search engine, Bing, had a great start. According to some news, it started to overtake Yahoo. Bing also grabbed market share from Google.

Is it possible? I don’t think so. People’s habit is hard to change and most of us is using Google as the default homepage. I think more creative ideas and some vision is needed to overtake Google.

car loans

bad credit car loans
  2. johnr

johnr Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I agree - it will take something extraordinary to overtake Google - and neither Bing, Wolfram|Alpha, nor any of the myriad new search startups have yet succeeded in achieving that.

When Google launched it represented a paradigm shift in the business of search. The results were much more relevant for just about any query imaginable, due to their unique algorithms. The other search engines (Lycos, Hotbot, Infoseek, etc.) spit out so much irrelevant garbage it was a pain to find anything, and even while in early beta Google showed them up big time. I stumbled across Google just a few months from its creation, when they still had the old logo and were in beta indexing a mere few million pages - and even at that point it was highly impressive and way better than the competition.

However now that Google has the #1 spot it has by and large failed to continue innovating, but it doesn't really need to since nothing has come along yet to seriously challenge it ... including Bing. Until some new service comes along that can understand searches by description, recognize images by their content, and rank result by relevancy and depth (all things that even Google cannot do), Google has no need to worry and will likely remain #1.
  3. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Oct 15, 2008
    Warren, New Jersey, United States
    Bing will be on top when it becomes a verb... at the moment, I think 'Bing' is slang for prison... oh dear.

Still, it's a good search engine actually and a fair rival to Google I think.

Most importantly if you 'Bing' 'Tesla' we're on the first page of results; hurrah.