Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Binghamton, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Binghamton is operational. I'm charging here now and there's another grey tesla here too. Also it shows up on navigation in the car so it must be officially open :)

90790ab8a75df18165a5c512d5d9a0d3.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Cow that was fast!

How fast? Let's see if we can put a number on it - the best info I can offer is:
1. 10/2 i heard from a Tesla rep that "We are getting much closer now; only awaiting one additional permit and hope to start construction late next week. Keep your eyes peeled and you’ll see some movement soon enough! We are 100% committed to our site and are pushing forward as quick as possible." So let's say "late next week" would've meant Thursday, Oct. 8 when a shovel went in the ground.
2. On Sun. 10/18 i drove by the site and saw the excavation done and some basic equipment at the site.
3. On Sun. 11/1 i saw the site appear on my map, and came here to find pics of cars sucking in juice, hallelujah.

I submit then 24 days from ground breaking to charging. That's the fastest i've ever seen since i took delivery of my S in Dec. 2012!

Holy Cow that was fast!

How fast? Let's see if we can put a number on it - the best info I can offer is:
1. 10/2 i heard from a Tesla rep that "We are getting much closer now; only awaiting one additional permit and hope to start construction late next week. Keep your eyes peeled and you’ll see some movement soon enough! We are 100% committed to our site and are pushing forward as quick as possible." So let's say "late next week" would've meant Thursday, Oct. 8 when a shovel went in the ground.
2. On Sun. 10/18 i drove by the site and saw the excavation done and some basic equipment at the site.
3. On Sun. 11/1 i saw the site appear on my map, and came here to find pics of cars sucking in juice, hallelujah.

I submit then 24 days from ground breaking to charging. That's the fastest i've ever seen since i took delivery of my S in Dec. 2012!

I think it was almost certainly well under 24 days.

Your 10/18 date doesn't help with the timeline. jrreno posted the first pictures on 10/15, taken 10/15. The question is how long before then work had started. It really doesn't look like a week's worth of work had been done at that point. So I think work probably started just a day or two before 10/15. I think my estimate up thread of three weeks or late is a better estimate.

View attachment 99795First car today? NJ plates. 6:40pm tonight

Yep that's me! I could have parked better between the lines I guess. :)

I was driving on my way to Syracuse and I saw it on the map and figured I would check to see if it was really open. I was getting ready to call Tesla and complain they sent me to a charging spot that wasn't open. Surprised it was. Got to meet yobigd20 (who must have pulled in a few minutes after me) and one of the owners of the diner. Great people. Glad this is now open.

IMG_5367.JPG

This is the thread to discuss the Binghamton, NY Supercharger.

Edit 11/02/15--The Binghamton Supercharger is open! It opened some time on 11/01/15.

Edit 10/15/15--The location has been discovered, and it will be The Spot Restaurant!
(Thanks, jrreno!)

The Spot Restaurant
1062 Front Street
Binghamton, NY 13905

Open 5:00 AM to 11:00 PM seven days a week.

Most of the history of what has taken place before this can be found in this thread:
Help Get A Supercharger in Binghamton, NY – Minimal Action Requested

I'll try to summarize some of the highlights below:

In early November, 2014 Genedr started this thread--

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...d-local-advice

I saw that thread, and being new to the forums misunderstood things and thought that he had some direct ties to the Supercharger Team, and that they were, through him, coming to the forums because they were now actively looking for a Binghamton Supercharger site. I suggested “The Spot Diner Restaurant." I picked "The Spot" because of the great location just off Route 81, easily accessible heading in either direction, and very close to Route 88, while also being within a couple of miles of the Route 17 and Route 81 interchange. I also thought the long hours the business was open and the fact that it was a diner would make it a great choice.

Gene and I corresponded some privately, and the result was that I called the owner of “The Spot”, still under the mistaken impression that the Tesla Supercharger Team was actively interested in Binghamton. It was a great call, and I explained a lot about what having a Supercharger at his location would mean. He was interested in hearing more, and I (mistakenly) told him that someone from the Tesla Supercharger team would contact him.

It was only later, when following up with Gene that I learned of my misunderstanding, and that based on the owner’s interest, Gene would be submitting “The Spot” through the Tesla Supercharger site submission form. Gene and I strategized a bit, and we thought that with both of us submitting “The Spot,” and also writing to the team independently, perhaps the Supercharger Team would take action. After a couple of weeks, when neither Gene nor I had heard back from the team, I started the thread above, to try to basically start a write-in campaign for "The Spot."

Many TMC members helped, and recommended the location. Within just a few days someone from the Supercharger Team reached out to me to let me know that they would be exploring options in Binghamton.

On July 4, 2015 MaturinNYC posted that he had heard from a member of the Supercharger Team that they had selected a site near the I-81 and I-88 Interchange in Binghamton, and that they were in the final design stage.

On August 31, 2015 yobigd20 reported that two weeks earlier Tesla had replied to him saying that the Binghamton Supercharger was next, and would be built by the "end of the summer."

On September 2, 2015 CHRGIT reported that Tesla's "Coming Soon" Supercharger map had been updated to reflect a charger coming soon in Binghamton.

On September 24, 2015 MaturinNYC reported that he had heard from the Supercharger team again back on September 9. They wrote, "Yes, we have continued to make progress in Binghamton and are close to entering construction on our site there. Construction and energization usually takes between 4-6 weeks, so we are getting close now! Thanks for your continued support!"

As of October 3, 2015 we still do not know the location of the site. It could be "The Spot Restaurant", or as others have suggested, it could be SUNY Binghamton, or other businesses on Front Street. We hope to determine the location soon.

And that's the summary to date.

we should work on roscoe diner on 17.
I just submitted the form for roscoe diner location. that's actually a perfect spot for travelers that take 17 as a shortcut to nyc and a popular diner also

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention for folks with kids there is a Sonic Burger across street from The Spot rest and supercharger.

Agree with Roscoe Diner location I travel from NYC area and could stop at Newburgh, but it is a bit off the route and would be nice to see one on 17. it is a route travelled by folks from NYC/LI/Northern NJ to many many universities (SYracuse U of R...) and would be helpful