Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bio Hazard Now Standard on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope they do this with the 3 also. If they can fit it in the Y they can fit it in the 3. The frunk size isn’t *that* different.
I think the issue is they have to subtract the frunk to fit it. That the Y currently has space, but the 3 is too compact that it requires a rework of components. And I wonder even if they could make size if the current filter is in a space that could be retrofitted.
Really hope they make it work for the future though. It's one of those killer features that really separates the Teslas from other vehicles.

Reactions: asus389
I think the issue is they have to subtract the frunk to fit it. That the Y currently has space, but the 3 is too compact that it requires a rework of components. And I wonder even if they could make size if the current filter is in a space that could be retrofitted.
Really hope they make it work for the future though. It's one of those killer features that really separates the Teslas from other vehicles.
The Model 3 frunk was changed last year for no real reason?

May be there was a project to have the Bio Hazard option available?

Anyone have any word on retrofits? As far as I can tell all the "confirmed" reports of a retrofit coming are the result of a Sawyer Merritt tweet a few months ago. The guy tweets like a million times a day so it's really hard to run back and see if he's said anything else about it and I tweeted him last night asking for an update and it's been radio silence. Anyone else have any info that it's actually coming, or just hopes and dreams because the S had a retrofit offered for older cars?

1) Look at the photo in the very first post on this thread. Note the "bio" icon to the right of "schedule."
2) Remove the upper cover in the frunk. The newly designed filter should be almost the full width, at the base of the windshield.
3) Welcome to TMC!

A couple of weeks ago, I went to our local Merritt Island, FL Service Center to help a friend take delivery of her new MY. I was following my delivery checklist by opening the trunk to check the fluids -- and WOW! -- there was the big HEPA filter! It blocked easy access to the fluid reservoirs, but I really was envious! Our 2020 MY would look really nice with that new biohazard logo on its Climate screen. Interestingly, that car was completely defect-free, except the drivers seat back adjustment switch was broken. She chose to accept the car anyway...

Resurrecting this thread! I'd appreciate input from people who have recently taken delivery of Model Ys from Fremont and Austin.
  • Reading through this, I see several people got their Model Ys with the HEPA filters for Biodefense Mode. Super! However, I'm wondering if all the US produced Model Ys are coming with this now (a year later) because:
  • Tesla's do it yourself page only shows the old (smaller non-HEPA) filter location and replacement process in this video: Do It Yourself - Model Y
  • Tesla's shop only shows the old filters: Model 3/Y Air Filter
  • I can't readily find any US owner videos (not for the MIC Model Ys) showing the filter replacement.

Maybe Tesla is just really behind with their online content and replacement filters???

Resurrecting this thread! I'd appreciate input from people who have recently taken delivery of Model Ys from Fremont and Austin.
  • Reading through this, I see several people got their Model Ys with the HEPA filters for Biodefense Mode. Super! However, I'm wondering if all the US produced Model Ys are coming with this now (a year later) because:
  • Tesla's do it yourself page only shows the old (smaller non-HEPA) filter location and replacement process in this video: Do It Yourself - Model Y
  • Tesla's shop only shows the old filters: Model 3/Y Air Filter
  • I can't readily find any US owner videos (not for the MIC Model Ys) showing the filter replacement.

Maybe Tesla is just really behind with their online content and replacement filters???
Took delivery three weeks ago of a MYLR Cali build. I have BDM.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom