Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bio Hazard Now Standard on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long do the HEPA filters last in normal use? How much of an up-charge would HEPA replacements run vs. conventional cabin air filters? Are there 3rd party replacements and/or can non-HEPA filters be installed in their place (assuming the HEPA's are pricey)?

I personnally don't understand the hype about this kind of filter...
It’s not hype. Used mine extensively during the 6 weeks of horrible smokey air last fall in California and it made a massive difference in cabin air quality. With it on I could hardly detect the smoke while driving through over 350 US EPA PM2.5 AQI outside.

I'll buy it. Have a child with asthma since she was a baby. Now they need to make this, a heated steering wheel, and auto dimming side mirrors available as retrofits. Otherwise, I'm very tempted by the offer Vroom made me on my LR. I have no issues with my '20 LR, but the offer is truly absurd.
If I had a 2nd car, I would and order a new one...though a new one costs 3k more than when i bought lol

It lists the HEPA filter on the order site now and has an on screen logo for Biohazard Mode
C596CAF9-25E9-4AB7-AC94-C9E78CBC524D.png

Not sure I really want this type of filter after reading on how it works. My understanding is unless manually activated the filter does not do anything as the standard filter we all have now does the work. Once activated, the large hepa filter comes into play however the fan defaults to high speed all the time which does make for a somewhat noisy cabin. If you are in an area with constant smoke from fires or bad smells it may be beneficial otherwise I see no real benefit apart from bragging rights. I believe I read somewhere it cost $250 to change out the model S/X filters at Tesla. See here. How does Tesla’s Bioweapon Defense Mode work? | Current Automotive

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It can be useful for some part of the world like California. But I don't think air quality is that bad for the majority of us. So making it mandatory to help a minority is a bad design decision. Making it optional would satisfy those who wants it and those who don't want it.