Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bio Hazard Now Standard on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely would buy a retrofit in a second, especially if mobile service can do it! Even if only used for a handful of times a year I would love that. Forest fires in the PNW summer, “inversions” in the winter where the air gets really stale and filled with smoke if people are using fireplaces, etc.

Filter replacements wouldn’t be that large of an issue if it bypasses this large filter until you turn on bio weapon mode… would be awesome if the car was smart enough to log how many hours bio weapon was on and base a filter replacement reminder on actual usage… heck, Tesla could pull in air quality data as well and factor that into a replacement cycle…

Are you willing to lose your Frunk or at least part of it? If the "Bioweapon" implementation for the MY is anything like the MS, then be prepared to lose some of your Frunk storage. The Bioweapon filter for the MS is a HUGE HEPA filter and plastic frame unit, probably 18" x 24" x 4" and this is not including the frame/duct that it attaches to. When you turn Bioweapon mode on, the fans spin up to speed 20 (or whatever) which is supposed to create air pressure in the cabin. Its super loud and really not that comfortable. Just my experience/two cents.
I used it on my X a few times in dusty parking lots and it’s annoyingly loud as you describe. I wouldn’t use it except for special situations.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
I would want to use HEPA 24/7, only bio mode when stinky
In the past Elon has explained that because a HEPA filter has very tiny pores, to filter out tiny particulate matter, the cabin fan has to be run at the highest setting to get the air to pass through the filter. That is why when Bioweapon mode is selected the fan goes to max and cannot be adjusted down.

Yes, it’s a little noisy. But your cabin air is purified to a very high standard. Your choice as to whether to use it or not. But now that all Y vehicles have it available, you have that choice. Before you did not have that choice.

Update from my service center.
689B736F-F0D7-4E75-AE36-3B4B507C6F98.jpeg

This was my last holdout from all the recent Model Y enhancements before I would consider ordering one.

I test drove a recent build that has the bio weapon filter and then placed my order the next day. Looking at an end of year delivery for my config.

Refreshed console, heated steering wheel, Bio Weapon were the options I wanted. The newer battery config is a nice bonus. The new door panels I didn't care about either way.

Reactions: GOVA
This was my last holdout from all the recent Model Y enhancements before I would consider ordering one.

I test drove a recent build that has the bio weapon filter and then placed my order the next day. Looking at an end of year delivery for my config.

Refreshed console, heated steering wheel, Bio Weapon were the options I wanted. The newer battery config is a nice bonus. The new door panels I didn't care about either way.
Hopefully you’ll get the updated headlights as well (unless you ordered a performance trim…then it’s guaranteed).

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Hopefully you’ll get the updated headlights as well (unless you ordered a performance trim…then it’s guaranteed).
Unfortunately I was only able to pursue the LR. It would be nice to get the headlights as well but either way I’ll be happy. The HEPA filter will be nice for the months of the year when the nearby farms are fertilzing their fields and the smell wafts into my neighbourhood. Also like for situations right now where there are raging fires several hours north of me but the wind is carrying heavy particulate matter and reducing our air quality.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Unfortunately I was only able to pursue the LR. It would be nice to get the headlights as well but either way I’ll be happy. The HEPA filter will be nice for the months of the year when the nearby farms are fertilzing their fields and the smell wafts into my neighbourhood. Also like for situations right now where there are raging fires several hours north of me but the wind is carrying heavy particulate matter and reducing our air quality.
HEPA/biodefense mode is a great feature, really came in handy in my Model S. I missed out by a few weeks but such is life with Tesla…haha.