TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Bio-weapon defense mode" option - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by anticitizen13.7, Apr 12, 2016.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Configuration of Model 3 reservations is probably still much more than a year away, but I wondered what people were thinking as far as the "medical grade" HEPA filter that was introduced as an option on the Model X (available on Model S orders starting today). The HEPA filter system is bundled with the Premium Interior package on the S and X, which I think adds about 3k on the S and 4.5k on the X to the total price.

Worth the cost? I am leaning towards yes.

I wouldn't buy it necessarily to protect against biohazards, but I get annoyed when I'm in my Honda Civic and driving behind some vehicle that is belching noxious exhaust. Model X owners report that the upgraded filter system is great at eliminating this annoyance.

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

It might very well help extend your life over time. At the very least, you'll be smelling far fewer bad smells.

3. Woosie

Woosie Member

Meh. Put your car in recirculating mode and turn off the air if need be.

It's a cool idea but not for $3K. If it comes in a package I want then I'll be appropriately happy for better air quality.

4. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

should help with skunks too ;).

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Wow, not for $3k. That's too much for me. Do you have to replace the filters - I assume so. How much do those cost I wonder.

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

for all the not for $3000 people that is a price for S which cost twice as much. If Model 3 gets the option it'll be cheaper.

personally I'd pay for it just for pollen reduction.

7. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

but for a 3K bundle, you do get loads of other features, like adaptive headlights, ventilated seats and auto presenting doors (for Model X), LED fog lights, power liftgate, LED lightings, etc

So i think it's quite a bargain, even if you don't care for the filter.

• Like x 1
  8. engle

engle Member

I can confirm the HEPA filter works great on my X. I intentionally stopped in stop-and-go traffic for awhile behind an older ICE belching noxious fumes and couldn't smell anything. Very happy I have it as part of the $4.5K Premium Upgrades Package.

For Model , since it's a health item, and the volumes are much greater, I think Tesla should also offer this option unbundled outside a package so buyers with bad allergies, etc. aren't forced to pay for things they don't need/want just to get the HEPA.

I was told by a TSLA employee I've known for years who was talking to George Blankenship at the X Reveal that Elon got the idea for this from driving past a smelly landfill often in his Model S on the way to Tesla Factory from HQ in Palo Alto. I'm glad to see it's now available in the S, too. I fully expect we'll see it as an option in the , as part of what differentiates the Tesla vehicle brand above all others IMHO.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I do not expect the Model 3 to offer that option. It takes up far more space than the standard air filter, and Tesla will reserve some features for the S/X line only.

• Dislike x 1
  10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

It's a safety issue the way Elon presents it because it affects life expectancy. It would be in line with his values on safety to push that feature to all the cars in his control.

Charge us for it sure, but I expect he'll make it an option even on the 3.

• Like x 2
  11. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I would agree with this sentiment. If the option is something that can physically improves the owners health or well-being, I don't believe Elon would prevent someone who wants the option from being able to have it.

12. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Ah, I see the $3k price is for the whole package not just the filter system. In that case, I will probably get it, but mostly because I want the other things in the package. If it's an option by itself, I won't get it.

If what I am breathing is going to kill me early, it will be all the noxious stuff I breathe at work on an aircraft flight line, not from traffic fumes. JP8 is really lovely stuff. So no point at all in paying for a fancy hepa filter in my car. (And I don't have pollen allergies, which would be the only other reason for one)

13. hill

hill Member

If it packages at all, it'll get glomed onto tow package or something else you may really want, so you're stuck w/ it.

14. Ames

Ames Member

I find that the good 'ole recirculate does the trick for me. That giant HEPA filter is going to take a way frunk space.

15. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Keep in mind the HEPA filter for the Model X is likely larger than the HEPA they'll use for the Model 3. It'll still be a huge filter but I don't think they'll just reuse the exact same filter on both vehicles.

16. engle

engle Member

This makes perfect sense to me since the air volume inside the Model 3 will be significantly less than Model X.

17. Tam

Tam Active Member

I don't see why not.

It's an option so people can opt out if they do not want to pay for it.

18. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

That is one item that I wish was not part of a package. I would like to have the other things on the Premium Interior package without the filter. Way too much money for an item I would consider frivolous.

Just my $.02

Dan

19. eisbock

eisbock Member

Tesla is trying to make safe cars, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Every other car on the planet does not have this feature, and people are doing just fine without it.

It may be too expensive to invest in alternate tooling to make this happen. It will be an add-on which will increase the "fully loaded" cost. You can't expect every single feature on the S to be available in some form or another on the 3, or else you'd end up with a 3 that cost over $100k. Some features need to be reserved for different cars in the manufacturer's lineup. No other car company offers, as paid options, everything that makes the next car up better, because then what's the point in buying the more expensive car?

"It's bigger and some people like a bigger car" is not an acceptable response. There will be features and stuff on the S that the 3 does not have and will never have.

Safety is a noble cause, sure. But in the end, Tesla needs to make money, and something superfluous and not really needed is this HEPA filter. You want it? Buy the more expensive car. I suspect this will just be one of many neat features you won't find on the 3 in order to justify an S purchase.

20. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Ironically, I bet the HEPA filter has one of the highest profit margins of all the options.

Dan