Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biodefense mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must have went to the future....

"But now the feature has finally landed in the U.S. for the Model Y, as spotted by The Kilowatts. The feature was spotted on a Model Y with a July 21 build date built at Tesla’s Fremont factory in California, and so far we have yet to see this debut on the Model 3."

I think the tweet said it started in 7/21 (July 2021) builds.

This is pretty upsetting, I took delivery of my Y in late May and it came without the lumbar support for the passenger. Now this.. You buy a car and a moth later it becomes “obsolete”. When I bought my M3 back in 2019, a month later Tesla added speakers to the car. 😡

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV
in 4 years with my model S, we never used bio defense mode. More of a gimmick.....
This is pretty upsetting, I took delivery of my Y in late May and it came without the lumbar support for the passenger. Now this.. You buy a car and a moth later it becomes “obsolete”. When I bought my M3 back in 2019, a month later Tesla added speakers to the car. 😡

in 4 years with my model S, we never used bio defense mode. More of a gimmick.....
Same here, although just two years. Even with a week of hazy air due to California fires, I never felt the need to blast Bioweapon Defense Mode to quickly scrub the air.

I assume that the enlarged HEPA filter is already providing constant benefits in the S, even at low or normal fan speeds so am glad the Y is also getting it. Makes our move from S to Y easier since there’s even less to miss now (other than passenger lumbar).

Same here, although just two years. Even with a week of hazy air due to California fires, I never felt the need to blast Bioweapon Defense Mode to quickly scrub the air.

I assume that the enlarged HEPA filter is already providing constant benefits in the S, even at low or normal fan speeds so am glad the Y is also getting it. Makes our move from S to Y easier since there’s even less to miss now (other than passenger lumbar).
2018 model X and I forget that it's there. I've only used it to show someone it's capability. I'm sure for some this is big news. For the must have folks, Tesla may offer an upgrade to the existing system.

My model Y is 1 year old with 17.3K miles. I had a terrible smelly A/C. I removed the cabin air filter and used an Endoscope camera to see the evaporator. I found black mold at the bottom of evaporator and tree leaf residues at the bottom of condensation tray. I suspect the bottom of the air filter and the residues are soaked wet. The air filter did also smell. I attached a small flexible hose to a vacuum cleaner to clean the residues. Next, I cleaned the evaporator with "Kool-it" and installed a new aftermarket HEPA cabin air filter. The mold and smell is now gone.

With my other cars, 2010 BMW 330d and 2018 BMW 430i, I do not have this issue. I never had to clean the evaporator and the cabin filter never smelled like the one from my Y. In all BMW, the cabin air filter is installed on the cowl, debris, pollen and dust never get close to the wet tray next to the evaporator. I guess that if Tesla move the cabin air filter to the cowl, it will solve this problem. The only minus is that recirculation air mode is not filtered.