Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biodefense Order Tracker - For Non-PUP Old-Timers

Did You Order the HEPA Filter/Biodefense Upgrade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you ordered the HEPA filter for the Biodefense upgrade to your non-PUP MX? If you did, please post here and update when you receive the part or call from the SC to install. I am not sure if they ship the part to you or direct to the SC.

It is prolly fair to assume that parts will be delayed so perhaps a long wait is ahead of those of us who ordered? Or maybe not?

I didn't purchase the Biodefense upgrade, but I did purchase a HEPA filter from the SC when I was there for other issues. They sold me the filter, but wouldn't enable the feature on the car for obvious reasons. I've considered buying the upgrade so I have the button, but since my HEPA filter is under a year old, I'd be getting a new filter that I don't really need yet. Since the part should be a standard maintenance item, I wouldn't expect a huge delay in ordering it.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I ordered on Jan 18th and quickly got a phone call for schedule the install on the 23rd, claiming they had it in stock. Arrived only to find out they didn’t, and they had no tracking available. Filter yes, but not the bracket....

So make sure they really have it in stock before agreeing to an install date.

I ordered on Jan 18th and quickly got a phone call for schedule the install on the 23rd, claiming they had it in stock. Arrived only to find out they didn’t, and they had no tracking available. Filter yes, but not the bracket....

So make sure they really have it in stock before agreeing to an install date.
There is no bracket. The HEPA filter is permanently affixed to a plastic shroud, which appears identical to the empty shroud included on non-PUP cars. Some of the bolts from the frunk tub thread into the shroud, so it's there with or without a filter.

There is no bracket. The HEPA filter is permanently affixed to a plastic shroud, which appears identical to the empty shroud included on non-PUP cars. Some of the bolts from the frunk tub thread into the shroud, so it's there with or without a filter.

To illustrate Krazaak’s point:

Wish I saw this before wasting time driving to the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: MXn00b and bayx
Thanks for the heads up on this thread. Didn't realize this was now an option.
Ordered tonight.

I have a HEPA filter I got Amazon that I installed when i first go the car, but I've always been suspect of its actual performance.
It'll be nice to have the real deal installed with the on-screen button.

BTW, anyone know if the rear seats have the seat heaters in them and if they could be offered an upgrade later as well?

I ordered mine last week not because I was dying for this option but I wanted to show my appreciate to Tesla for the effort of offering those PUP options at a fair price. I hope this will send a clear and positive message to our SC and Tesla's management to offer other PUP options.

Reactions: bayx
I see that the price is $500 including installation, but if you just purchase the filter from Tesla and DIY, is the cost same? I saw some posts last year that folks did DIY and at that time the cost was around $200 and now its more than double.

I had SC install HEPA filters in both my S and X a year ago but no Bioweapon button then.

When this option became available, I emailed Service (the national email not local SC) and they emailed me back saying they saw that in my service records and would push the Bioweapon button firmware OTA over LTE or WiFi. A week later, nothing. Took my S into service for the annual the other day and they (even after seeing the email from service) refused to push the Bioweapon button, insisting I’d owe them the difference between $500 and whatever I had paid for the filters alone. Weird. Any thoughts? It’s just a software push and national service was cool with it...