Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biometric authentication by phone as alt. option to PIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondered if anyone has previously suggested having the option to use the biometric sensor on a connected phone to authenticate before being able to drive off ie. instead of optionally requireing a PIN.

The problem with entering a PIN everytime is that it's hardly secure given that entering it on the screen makes it so obvious to anyone that might be watching.

It would also be nice to be able to quickly authenticate with the car via the phone in this way as you walk towards the car so that once you're in, there's no need to faff around in the same as you have to when entering a PIN number.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if there's any kind of channel for making feature suggestions directly to Tesla?

EEC13026-F5AB-4DAD-8A03-A95FB5F451C3.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: curmudgeon
Ah okay, that's interesting. But is there an option that allows me to not start the car unless biometric authentication or a PIN number is used? I'll have to have play with it.

The issue at the moment is that I don't want to use a PIN but that means that anyone with access to my phone could take the car. I know this is really the same as someone having access to the keys/fob to a normal car, but requireing a biometric authentication (if it's done well) ought to add significantly to the car's security.

Reactions: Chalks99
Ah okay, that's interesting. But is there an option that allows me to not start the car unless biometric authentication or a PIN number is used? I'll have to have play with it.

The issue at the moment is that I don't want to use a PIN but that means that anyone with access to my phone could take the car. I know this is really the same as someone having access to the keys/fob to a normal car, but requireing a biometric authentication (if it's done well) ought to add significantly to the car's security.
That would be super cool !

I'd like to be able to view it in the app, even if only as a low-res stream.
If our son is asleep in the car when we get home from a journey we often leave him there to finish his nap while we get in and cook dinner etc. I usually just take a usb powered wifi ip camera into the car and keep an eye on him from one of the wall displays but a built-in baby/dog monitor would make life a little easier.... getting imaginative, you could also have video call to reassure them if they wake. Maybe I should Tweet Elon :D