Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bioweapon defense mode fan speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
With bioweapon defense mode on the air in the cabin definitely is not forest fire Smokey, but the fan seems to run continuously on maximum.

is it possible to be in bioweapon defense mode with a lower fan speed?

thanks

I find that impossible to believe. If the HEPA filter is only in use when biodefense mode is activated, that would imply there are two HVAC systems in the vehicle.
I guess this is subject to different interpretation, but from the manual:

If your Model S is equipped with the Bioweapon Defense Mode feature, the HEPA (High
Efficiency Particulate Air) filter ensures the best possible quality of air inside the cabin. When
selected
, outside air is filtered through the medical-grade HEPA filter in addition to the
secondary filtration systems. The HEPA filter is extremely effective at removing particles,
including pollution, allergens, bacteria, pollen, mold spores, and viruses. Both the HEPA filter
and the secondary filtration system also contain activated carbon to remove a broad
spectrum of odors and gases. When you engage Bioweapon Defense Mode, the fan operates
at the highest speed. In addition, the positive pressure inside the cabin minimizes the amount
of outside air that can leak into the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The text doesn't say that Bio Defense Mode turns off if you lower the speed. Just that it defaults to hi speed. I'm not saying selecting a lower blower speed doesn't turns it off. I just don't see that. Wonder how we'd get the real scoop.
I went to my car, selected BDM, and then turned the fan down. BDM is deselected when you adjust the fan to a lower speed.

The HEPA-filter is always in use - no question about it.

And pushing the button just makes two things: 1) puts the air circulation mode on and 2) puts the fans to full.
So yes, the HEPA-filter is always in use and yes, you can install the HEPA-filter without the additional button (or paying Tesla $500/500€). You can just manually adjust the settings.

What happens is that with these settings you enable pressure inside the car so air only gets in the car through the filter. Normally / normal air circulation levels you have some leaks here and there so the effects are not so "visible".

If you ever took the front of the car open, you would realize that it is impossible for air to get into the car without it going through the HEPA-filter. See below photo. Air comes in below the windshield, goes through the HEPA and then it goes inside the car and through another smaller cabin air filter (behind the glove box - similar, just smaller) and then through the vents inside the car.

20200915_110606000_iOS.jpg

I have had the HEPA-filter for 2.5 years, without the actual button enabled (I changed the filter myself) so why would the filter be in this condition (comparison between old and new below picture) when I changed it about a month ago if it was not in use... ;)

20200915_110624000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
The HEPA-filter is always in use - no question about it.

And pushing the button just makes two things: 1) puts the air circulation mode on and 2) puts the fans to full.
So yes, the HEPA-filter is always in use and yes, you can install the HEPA-filter without the additional button (or paying Tesla $500/500€). You can just manually adjust the settings.

What happens is that with these settings you enable pressure inside the car so air only gets in the car through the filter. Normally / normal air circulation levels you have some leaks here and there so the effects are not so "visible".

If you ever took the front of the car open, you would realize that it is impossible for air to get into the car without it going through the HEPA-filter. See below photo. Air comes in below the windshield, goes through the HEPA and then it goes inside the car and through another smaller cabin air filer (behind the glove box) and then through the vents inside the car.

View attachment 588395

I have had the HEPA-filter for 2.5 years, without the actual button enabled (I changed the filter myself) so why would the filter be in this condition (comparison between old and new below picture) when I changed it about a month ago if it was not in use... ;-)

View attachment 588396

Thank you for the information.
Did you bought the new HEPA filter from Tesla or a third party?
How did the filter cost you?

I see your filter and what you say makes sense. However, when I press the BDW button, I hear what sounds like a change in airflow before the fan speed ramps up, like baffles opening or closing, or recirculation being enabled. It is more than just changing the fan speed. Also, it would seem the manual is incorrect. Also, if BDW is just full speed fans, why wouldn't the BDW be illuminated whenever the pressure inside the car is greater than outside?

I assume the cabin filter is a pre-filter for the HEPA filter and that the HEPA filter is really the cabin filter?

I see your filter and what you say makes sense. However, when I press the BDW button, I hear what sounds like a change in airflow before the fan speed ramps up, like baffles opening or closing, or recirculation being enabled. It is more than just changing the fan speed. Also, it would seem the manual is incorrect. Also, if BDW is just full speed fans, why wouldn't the BDW be illuminated whenever the pressure inside the car is greater than outside?

I assume the cabin filter is a pre-filter for the HEPA filter and that the HEPA filter is really the cabin filter?

Well, you probably hear the air (re)circulation mode going on. There is just nothing else that could happen :)

As discussed above, the BWD is a marketing term and of course there is a "quick setting button" to enable it. It does what it is meant to do. Tesla just has not build any other functionality it to automatically detect when the pressure inside is greater, etc. But it is very clear that the air always goes through the HEPA-filter.

The cabin air filter is behind the glove box. It is the last part of the air conditioning system. It is good to remember that there are lots of cars without the HEPA-filter since it used to be part of the extra packages which at that point cost quite a lot money (and pre-facelift models don't even have space for it).

See for example this video

Reactions: outdoors
Well, you probably hear the air (re)circulation mode going on. There is just nothing else that could happen :)

As discussed above, the BWD is a marketing term and of course there is a "quick setting button" to enable it. It does what it is meant to do. Tesla just has not build any other functionality it to automatically detect when the pressure inside is greater, etc. But it is very clear that the air always goes through the HEPA-filter.

The cabin air filter is behind the glove box. It is the last part of the air conditioning system. It is good to remember that there are lots of cars without the HEPA-filter since it used to be part of the extra packages which at that point cost quite a lot money (and pre-facelift models don't even have space for it).

See for example this video
Recirculation symbol is not illuminated, and that would not make sense, and the manual says it takes in outside air. From Current Automotive, "How does Tesla's Bioweapon Defense Mode Work":

"To use the HEPA filter, you need to activate Bioweapon Defense Mode, which works quickly to expel all pollutants from the car and keep them out." How does Tesla’s Bioweapon Defense Mode work? | Current Automotive

From Find My Electric: "Model S and Model X already use a secondary air filtration system, but when Bioweapon Defense Mode is activated, it adds the HEPA filter as another layer of filtration." Tesla Features Explained: Bioweapon Defense Mode - Find My Electric

I am very confused. None of this adds up.