Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bioweapon mode experience - how often do you all use it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically as title states - just wondering, how often do you all use biowepaon defense mode? I use it so infrequently since it turns the fan on high and is kind of annoying (not so much the noise, more the strong air flow) -- does it ever go down? I've only used it for a few minutes to purge the cabin of scents (e.g., weed when opening door at a supercharging station today lol).

Don't have it in my Y but do in the S. Unfortunately for it to create a positive pressure in the cabin to be effective, annoyingly full speed fan is required and remains so until you turn it off. I honestly believe this was designed for California brush fires where I am sure it would be useful maybe once every few years other wise not sure why anyone would use it regularly. Maybe I will give it a try next time I pick up take out to see if the smell gets removed faster than opening the windows in the garage. Good news is being used so little will allow the filter to last for the life of the car.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
Basically as title states - just wondering, how often do you all use biowepaon defense mode? I use it so infrequently since it turns the fan on high and is kind of annoying (not so much the noise, more the strong air flow) -- does it ever go down? I've only used it for a few minutes to purge the cabin of scents (e.g., weed when opening door at a supercharging station today lol).
I used it when my son put some sort of water repellant on his shoes and the whole car smelled like it. To my surprise the smell disappeared pretty quickly.
I see myself using it once every 6 months or so on the freeway if caught some diesel exhaust.

Don't have it in my Y but do in the S. Unfortunately for it to create a positive pressure in the cabin to be effective, annoyingly full speed fan is required and remains so until you turn it off. I honestly believe this was designed for California brush fires where I am sure it would be useful maybe once every few years other wise not sure why anyone would use it regularly. Maybe I will give it a try next time I pick up take out to see if the smell gets removed faster than opening the windows in the garage. Good news is being used so little will allow the filter to last for the life of the car.
Those fires could be one or twrice every year, not every few years at this rate >.<

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I've used it a few times for gaseous emissions in the car, worked great.

I'm actually looking forward to it for July August in the PNW. We have fires all the time now, and after a few bad days our eyes and throats can get pretty torn up. We have good filters in the house that can keep up, but if we're at a lake for the day, the smoke can roll in suddenly as the wind shifts, so hopping in the (now) smoke free car and heading home will be a great option to have.

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
Never had to use it in last 6 months, may use it if the car sticks for some reason .. or ..if there is too much smoke/pollution. I hav not even given it a try. Is there a life to these filters and how long are they good for if unused ? Or how many months/years in total can it be used before they are ineffective ?

Based on what I saw, the main HEPA filter for Biodefense is part of the air intake and will be used 100%. The feature in the car to activate is just putting the AC on blast but otherwise the filter is already being used. Look at how it connects to the main air intake and tell me if I’m wrong.

Glad you mentioned the positive pressure. I made a mention in another thread relating to the grills not closing. There is definitely positive pressure inside the cabin even without Biodefense. I definitely notice it, compared to the M3 we have.

Based on what I saw, the main HEPA filter for Biodefense is part of the air intake and will be used 100%. The feature in the car to activate is just putting the AC on blast but otherwise the filter is already being used. Look at how it connects to the main air intake and tell me if I’m wrong.
Nope.

So, how does the system work? It’s actually quite simple— a giant HEPA cabin filter is used that contains separate acid and alkaline gas neutralization layers to filter out a wide range of contaminants. When activated, Bioweapon Defense Mode recirculates air through the high quality HEPA filter, purifying the cabin air while avoiding the intake of contaminated outside air. They already use a secondary air filtration system, but when Bioweapon Defense Mode is activated, it adds the HEPA filter as another layer of filtration.

Nope.

So, how does the system work? It’s actually quite simple— a giant HEPA cabin filter is used that contains separate acid and alkaline gas neutralization layers to filter out a wide range of contaminants. When activated, Bioweapon Defense Mode recirculates air through the high quality HEPA filter, purifying the cabin air while avoiding the intake of contaminated outside air. They already use a secondary air filtration system, but when Bioweapon Defense Mode is activated, it adds the HEPA filter as another layer of filtration.
The bio weapon filter that sits on the intake is what is the HEPA filter. All outside air gets pulled through it.

I use bioweapon defense mode quite often. My car smells delicious now each time I get in it, and it was bought used, 4 years of use.

If the air flow is too high i lower it and make sure it grabs outside air so it gets filtered through the HEPA filter. I believe recycling the inside air avoids the HEPA filter and I try to use the HEPA filter as often as possible.