TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BioWeapons Defense Mode

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jtdiddy, Aug 23, 2018.

1. jtdiddy

jtdiddy Member

Besides having the air pass through the large hepa filter, what does the bioweapons defense mode do?

one sales rep said that he believed it also closes some vents and pressurizes the interior cabin.

Another rep said it just maxes out the A/C so everythint gets pushed through the hepa filter.

• Like x 1
  2. dlsspy

dlsspy Member

It puts a cool biohazard logo on the screen and makes my wife stop coughing. It also pushes out the smell when going through what my daughter calls "Cowschwitz" on I-5.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

AFAIK it increases the fan speed and fully opens the damper allowing in outside air, thus filtering the incoming air and not allowing air to enter from other vents. There are a number of vents to allow air to pass out (like to allow the doors to close, etc), and these are basically just a hole with a rubber flap to allow air out but not let air in. The idea of the high air flow through the filter is to ensure that a little air is going out of the flaps to be sure nothing gets in.

• Like x 1
  4. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Member

Haha. Where on the 5 is that? Must be NorCal?

5. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

Sounds like Harris Ranch... been by there a few times on road trips and one day was so bad our son started gagging when the door opened heh.

• Like x 1
  6. kyfucius

kyfucius New Member

I believe there is a supercharger station near Harris Ranch on the I5. Try not to stop there if the smell bothers you!

• Like x 1
  7. Krash

Krash Data Technician

The car isn't 100% sealed so does the car repressurize the cabin over time? If so, is there a pressure sensor?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, the car seems to ramp up the fan speed and leaves Recirculate "off". So basically, outside air is routed in through the massive HEPA filter keeping the cabin slightly above ambient air pressure.

9. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

it creates a positive pressure effect, meaning outside air cannot leach into the cabin except through the HEPA filter. Thats why the fans have to be on high speed for it to work, to pump more and more filtered air into the cabin.

• Like x 1