Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bird Dropping removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shouldn't be etched same day. My birds here (same town as you) make target practice out of my car some days, and I am quick to get them and have not noticed anything.
With that in mind though, I take my car to Deep Reflections in Los Gatos to get the Zaino treatment. I plan for every 6 months, but might do more often if necessary (my neighbors are doing construction so my car is covered in dust every morning).

A bird got my hood. I got it off same day. It looks like now the spot is etched? Is there a product I can use to buff it out?

My condolences. Back in '09 after I got my brand new black Cadillac, I had the same thing happen. I cleaned it off straight away, but for the rest of the life of the car you could see the two silver dollar-sized splatters in the finish. I think the birds around here crap out acid. I am not looking forward to this happening to my brand new dark blue S!

Shouldn't be etched same day. My birds here (same town as you) make target practice out of my car some days, and I am quick to get them and have not noticed anything.
With that in mind though, I take my car to Deep Reflections in Los Gatos to get the Zaino treatment. I plan for every 6 months, but might do more often if necessary (my neighbors are doing construction so my car is covered in dust every morning).

The Zaino on your car is probably what's protecting the paint from etching. Bird droppings are total pain. They can even etch certain brands of paint amor. Nasty stuff.

if you keep the finish properly waxed/sealed/coated the bird dropping shouldnt etch. However depending on what the bird ate and how hot it is in your area its possible for a bird to drop on your finish at lets say 8am and it to etch after 10am. In the summer in texas its almost 100 deg by 10am

Any time you have a brand new vehicle, you must all know that the paint will almost never have any added protection. The factory leaves it up to you to decide what type of product you would like to apply for Protection. We always suggest C.Quartz FINEST, especially on a Tesla! For now though since you have an etching that needs to be addressed, I would either recommend you hire a competent Paint Correction expert to fix that area or if you are going to fix it yourself, I'm going to recommend 2 products. First, you need 2 small microfiber applicators, they you will want to order a small bottle of Meguires M105 (Compound) and M205 (Polish). Apply a large pea size dot on to the flat section in the corner of your applicator. In a small circular motion begin to apply slightly heavy pressure and as you work in a tight circle, begin to lighten that pressure. Wipe away the excess compound and inspect. If the etching is still present, repeat the first step until it has been removed. Once removed, perform the exact same procedure but with a new applicator and M205 Polish. Note: some bird etchings can be so deep that you may never fully remove it. This is important to know because you don't want to keep compounding and eventually thin our clear coat down to nothing. This would be a worse problem. Another Note: If you have the time and shoulders for it, you can also use M205 to polish the entire vehicle and then apply a protective coating after that process. This can be a lot of work and a professional will not do this by hand, but for a DIY project, by hand is the safest option..... Hope this helped!