Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bird's eye view coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon hasn't given any dates, say "soon" or anything that would imply this will happen to the current generation cars. What he's saying is that it's technically possible, so at some point Tesla might add this to compete with other manufacturers. The only information to glean from this is that he's not against having it in the car, unlike lidars (though I would not bet on Tesla never using lidars either, it's not like Elon never changed his mind in the past). I imagine he only tweeted this non-committal message to help drive FSD sales. $8K of pure profit per car for Tesla - he's stretched the truth for less before.

Another interesting implication of Elon's comment on bird's eye view - Full Self Driving is not coming any time soon. If it did, you wouldn't need a bird's eye view, the car would automatically park itself wherever you want, and you don't even have to be in it. So long FSD. It will be the most expensive lane keeping/surround view option around.

Another interesting implication of Elon's comment on bird's eye view - Full Self Driving is not coming any time soon. If it did, you wouldn't need a bird's eye view, the car would automatically park itself wherever you want, and you don't even have to be in it. So long FSD. It will be the most expensive lane keeping/surround view option around.
Anyone who thought otherwise was either lying to themselves to feel better about spending the money on FSD or truly delusional.

Maybe this actually indicates progress. FSD have advanced to a point where it can conceptualize the objects 360 around the car even when they are all visible at this moment in time using some 3+1D processing, so they might as well enable the display to show you. Even with perfect FSD, you still want info to show to give you the confidence that the car is doing the right thing. So this can be taken both ways, either FSD is really far so some non related features will have to be added to justify the cost, or it is actually a sign of progress.

Reactions: WarpedOne
How much would that Hyundai cost to match the performance of a Tesla?
A couple hundred bucks to attach some balsa wood dart-fins and an aero nosepiece to keep it pointed nose down and decrease drag. Then drop it out of an airplane, it would match a standard non-P Tesla in acceleration, but only once.

A couple hundred bucks to attach some balsa wood dart-fins and an aero nosepiece to keep it pointed nose down and decrease drag. Then drop it out of an airplane, it would match a standard non-P Tesla in acceleration, but only once.

Well in that scenario, it only needs to work once if the driver is in that vehicle.

FSD capability != Driver convenience features

It’s also my opinion that this feature should not be part of FSD since it doesn’t aid with autonomy. It’s a safety or assistance feature to aid the driver.

Now if they have an additional feature that helps the car drive itself better, only that component should be part of FSD.

My Mercedes C Class does this with I think only 3 cameras (rear, and both side mirrors). So in a current implementation of this birds eye view, much of it is based on the proximity sensors, and some camera (mostly rear view) and then a bunch of CGI that creates the view. It can’t really be so much of actual video stitching to get this overall “3D” image.

FSD == no driver, just passenger(s)

No driver means no need for driver convenience features.
My point is that you assert that the "implication of Elon's comment on bird's eye view - Full Self Driving is not coming any time soon. If it did, you wouldn't need a bird's eye view".

That's a false equivalency. Tesla deciding to implement a human convenience feature does not imply any impact to FSD capabilty.

Reactions: WarpedOne
My point is that you assert that the "implication of Elon's comment on bird's eye view - Full Self Driving is not coming any time soon. If it did, you wouldn't need a bird's eye view".

That's a false equivalency. Tesla deciding to implement a human convenience feature does not imply any impact to FSD capabilty.
I disagree. It would be someone developing a new airplane which hasn't flown yet saying "we're going to equip our new airplane model with special tires for long road-trips on the interstate highways" - it implies the plane is probably not going to fly any time soon.