Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bird's eye view coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. It would be someone developing a new airplane which hasn't flown yet saying "we're going to equip our new airplane model with special tires for long road-trips on the interstate highways" - it implies the plane is probably not going to fly any time soon.

I don't understand why the argument has to be binary. Why is Tesla limited to ONLY developing FSD or driver convenience features? Why can't it be both?

If I am Tesla on my roadmap to FSD I understand I that I need to maintain customers/revenue through that development lifecycle, I may implement features that I plan on forcing obsolesence of one day.

One cannot look at the fact that Cybertruck has a steering wheel and say, "well, FSD is doomed".

Reactions: scaesare
We test drove a Kia Telluride (want a 3 row vehicle and the X is too pricey and missing a lot of features that the Telluride has) with the birdseye view...great feature. Also had many other great features (i.e. carplay, HUD, built in SiriusXm, etc.) that I wish Teslas had as they are becoming must haves for me.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the argument has to be binary. Why is Tesla limited to ONLY developing FSD or driver convenience features? Why can't it be both?

If I am Tesla on my roadmap to FSD I understand I that I need to maintain customers/revenue through that development lifecycle, I may implement features that I plan on forcing obsolesence of one day.

One cannot look at the fact that Cybertruck has a steering wheel and say, "well, FSD is doomed".
If Level 5 Full Self Driving (no steering wheel needed) was coming as Elon said by the end of this year (and he said so as recently March this year), then why bother developing a feature you'll obsolete in 3 months? Of course, if we assume that FSD is not coming any time soon, then of course it makes sense to develop all those other features. Tesla is in fact doing the right thing, giving at least some benefit to those who paid thousands for FSD and are likely to never get it within the lifetime of the car.

PS> If FSD (think sleeping on the back seat while you drive from New York to L.A., or summon across the country) was truly coming by end of this year, then yes, it would be a valid question to ask why it needs a steering wheel. If Tesla was sure they could make FSD by the time Cybertruck is out, they would be designing a whole different interior.

All you guys do make a good point. What is the point of birds eye view for FSD package when FSD means FULL SELF DRIVING. I do agree that it should be part of the autopilot package already or maybe even standard. Isn't Tesla's theme "safest car in the world?"

Btw...I do have FSD and MCU1. I doubt I would get it in my package. Looks like I need to shell another $2500 for it. More money out of pocket for Tesla.

I disagree. It would be someone developing a new airplane which hasn't flown yet saying "we're going to equip our new airplane model with special tires for long road-trips on the interstate highways" - it implies the plane is probably not going to fly any time soon.
That argument doesn't hold as there's no valid use case for driving an airpline like a car down the interstate.

There are plenty of folks who will have FSD but may often prefer to drive/park themselves, want to see what's around their car, may consider it a safety feature etc... Therefore there are valid use cases for bird's eye view regardless as to if FSD is also available.

Right. Or to say that Tesla has not yet discontinued heated steering wheels an option and therefore assume FSD isn't coming.

They are separately useful things, despite having some overlap in use case.

Reactions: croman
That argument doesn't hold as there's no valid use case for driving an airpline like a car down the interstate.

There are plenty of folks who will have FSD but may often prefer to drive/park themselves, want to see what's around their car, may consider it a safety feature etc... Therefore there are valid use cases for bird's eye view regardless as to if FSD is also available.
Why would you pay for FSD (assuming the real one which you trust to drive anywhere while you sleep on the back, play games, watch movies, have sex, whatever) if you are not planning to use it?

All that said, let's talk the main point here, when do think FSD will be ready - I mean Tesla to allow you to donate your vehicle time to their robo-taxi fleet to make you money (like what they advertised in 2016)? Are you an Elon believer hanging onto the idea it will happen by end of this year?

Why would you pay for FSD (assuming the real one which you trust to drive anywhere while you sleep on the back, play games, watch movies, have sex, whatever) if you are not planning to use it?

All that said, let's talk the main point here, when do think FSD will be ready - I mean Tesla to allow you to donate your vehicle time to their robo-taxi fleet to make you money (like what they advertised in 2016)? Are you an Elon believer hanging onto the idea it will happen by end of this year?
I know lots of people who selectively use the current auto pilot, not because it's not effective, but because there are some cases where they simply prefer to drive themselves, and other times where they prefer to offload some of that to the car.

What makes you think that would change in the future? Do you seriously expect every FSD customer to use the feature 100% of the time?

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
I know lots of people who selectively use the current auto pilot, not because it's not effective, but because there are some cases where they simply prefer to drive themselves, and other times where they prefer to offload some of that to the car.

What makes you think that would change in the future? Do you seriously expect every FSD customer to use the feature 100% of the time?
IMHO people who would rather park the car themselves given a perfectly reliable self-parking system are going to be very, very rare. Perhaps some parking skill competition, who can park more perfectly, but those will likely disallow usage of bird's eye view anyways. So, the use-case for birds eye view in a car which reliably parks itself as good as a human (or better according to Elon) is very niche.

Back to my earlier question, when do you think FSD will be complete? If you agree not for a while, it makes sense to have birds-eye-view as people will be parking manually for a very long time. If you think it's coming this year, birds eye view is not very useful. Note that even if regulators don't allow FSD, if Tesla has the software done, they could enable FSD self-parking as that is already allowed by regulators.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: scaesare
I'm in awe of those who appear to be arguing that this is an unneeded feature because FSD doesn't need it. Is it, for example, a false equivalency were I to aver windshield wipers are likewise undesirable?

Back to a somewhat realistic scenario. Ford trucks (don't know about GM or Dodge) have had bird's eye view for a good many years. Now: the buyer of a new pickup who is comparing that F-250 vs that Cybertruck...and thinks of his backing up his 38-foot 5th wheel in between those other behemoths at his favorite RV park...

I'm going to posit that 9 out of 10 will decline the choice that does not have bird's eye viewing, regardless of any FSD claimed capabilities. AND I will assert that there is a very large subset of NoAm pickup owners who fit that or a similar profile.

Elon said this would be a "vector space" view, not a camera view. So it won't be a video feed mashup, but an enhanced version of the current vector view (possibly with some AR mixed in). Which also explains why its coupled to FSD (using the V11 integrated camera vector space).

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
IMHO people who would rather park the car themselves given a perfectly reliable self-parking system are going to be very, very rare. Perhaps some parking skill competition, who can park more perfectly, but those will likely disallow usage of bird's eye view anyways. So, the use-case for birds eye view in a car which reliably parks itself as good as a human (or better according to Elon) is very niche.
A friend of mine has a $40K FORD with self parking and birds eye view, I was very impressed how well it worked in a tight reverse park. He did say to me 'your Tesla would have this right?' , I'm thinking yeah I've seen the Tesla self parking fails on YouTube, lets change the subject. :)

A friend of mine has a $40K FORD with self parking and birds eye view, I was very impressed how well it worked in a tight reverse park. He did say to me 'your Tesla would have this right?' , I'm thinking yeah I've seen the Tesla self parking fails on YouTube, lets change the subject. :)
This situation was created purely by the fact that Tesla doesn't have FSD parking. The coast to coast demo was supposed to happen by enf of 2017, so FSD parking should have been here long ago and there would be no need for bird's eye view - you could have told your friend "I don't need to see around my car, I just tell my car to park it and it does so perfectly every time". In my opinion Tesla won't have FSD which reliable parks "as good or better than a human" for a very long time (if ever for current generation cars), which is the reason why Tesla needs birds's eye view - to compete with mainstream cars until some day they do get FSD, and to help justify for people to pay thousands for vaporware which is already years behind its original schedule.

Reactions: P100D_Me and Wol747

Back to my earlier question, when do you think FSD will be complete? If you agree not for a while, it makes sense to have birds-eye-view as people will be parking manually for a very long time. If you think it's coming this year, birds eye view is not very useful. Note that even if regulators don't allow FSD, if Tesla has the software done, they could enable FSD self-parking as that is already allowed by regulators.

FSD complete? Never, not in the lifetime of my car. Not in the level 4 or 5 sense, anyway.

My wife won't let me use autopilot when she's with me - which is 99% of the time. She's been scared too often, especially with phantom braking.

As for self parking - I've tried it some 20 times and it's worked once.

The software is so buggy it's a joke: only just now the sentrycam display was obscured in the bottom 2" by the menu bar, so I couldn't see the two bottom thumbnails or the progress bar. Had to reboot and I haven't checked it's changed yet. I could go on.....