Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new station is going to be placed at Uptown in north downtown Birmingham, this is where the I65/I20 interchange is along with the BJCC. This is a pretty great spot, Uptown is a nice new development with a lot of good food options. Source, me, I've seen the physical permit request.

That's great - do you have any details like specific address, what type of permit (electrical vs building etc.), name or company of who submitted it so we can track it through Birmingham's online system?

Never mind - found it! The permit page itself has nothing identifiable but the summary if you search for the permit says "INSTALLATION OF TESLA MOTORS ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS TO EXISTING PARKING STALLS."

Permit BLD2016-02367, 2221 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd N, Birmingham AL 35203
Application date 9/14/2016, reviews mostly completed, not issued yet

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: survivor and N4HHE
That's great - do you have any details like specific address, what type of permit (electrical vs building etc.), name or company of who submitted it so we can track it through Birmingham's online system?

Never mind - found it! The permit page itself has nothing identifiable but the summary if you search for the permit says "INSTALLATION OF TESLA MOTORS ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS TO EXISTING PARKING STALLS."

Permit BLD2016-02367, 2221 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd N, Birmingham AL 35203
Application date 9/14/2016, reviews mostly completed, not issued yet

yup, that's the spot in the parking lot across the street from that address. It's going to be a block away from the new TopGolf building we just approved ;)

Great news about the supercharger. Thanks Pipelines.

Was in Birmingham all last week and saw a grand total of one EV. A Leaf, with Georgia plates, at the Hampton Inn Mt Brook. I think that brings the grand total of EV's I've seen in Birmingham (besides my S) over numerous visits per year to one. Whats with people there?

We did use the bikeshare system quite a bit for getting around downtown. Scary drivers and very surprised by the lack of bikeways but the system itself worked fairly well. Electric bikes are more scooters than e-bikes though which was disappointing.

There are very few EVs here in Birmingham. I ran into a guy with a Roadster at Home Depot earlier today. It was a first for both of us. It was the first time I had seen a Roadster in town and it was the first time he had seen a model s in town.

What part of town do you live in? I live in Vestavia and just in my neighbor hood alone, there are over 10 Teslas!

What part of town do you live in? I live in Vestavia and just in my neighbor hood alone, there are over 10 Teslas!
Near Spain Park HS. I've seen a few Teslas around town but they've all been a model S. Today was the first time I've seen a Roadster in town. I've also yet to see a model X in town.

When I was at the DMV (shelby county), the lady had to look up a previously registered Tesla to figure out how to register mine. She said they had less than ten registered in the county. I'm sure Jefferson county has more.

would be great if they would put a gallery/service center in The Summit
YES! We need a service center closer than Atlanta and Nashville.

Near Spain Park HS. I've seen a few Teslas around town but they've all been a model S. Today was the first time I've seen a Roadster in town. I've also yet to see a model X in town.

When I was at the DMV (shelby county), the lady had to look up a previously registered Tesla to figure out how to register mine. She said they had less than ten registered in the county. I'm sure Jefferson county has more.

YES! We need a service center closer than Atlanta and Nashville.
There is at least 30 Tesla in Birmingham. I own a Model S and a Model X in Hoover. We will have a Tesla owners meet in Birmingham Oct.13 11:30am to 12:30pm at Carrigan Pub House downtown Birmingham. All Tesla owners are welcome.

Birmingham is not on the "Opening Soon" Tesla map, but it and what looks like Athens, AL, are on the 2015 map. That will complete I-65 from Mobile to Nashville!

• Mobile, AL
  • Greenville, AL
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Athens, AL
  • Nashville, TN
I would not put a lot of faith in the Tesla "Opening Soon" map. All of I-20 from Dallas to Atlanta and I-30/I-40 from Dallas to Memphis was supposed to be completed at the end of 2015. As you know, many of those SCs have not been built.

I would not put a lot of faith in the Tesla "Opening Soon" map. All of I-20 from Dallas to Atlanta and I-30/I-40 from Dallas to Memphis was supposed to be completed at the end of 2015. As you know, many of those SCs have not been built.

Nashville and Louisville were supposed to be finished by 2013. Louisville didn't open until late December 2015.

There was apparently a brief conversation between Tesla and Bayer Properties (owners of The Summit) about a year ago. Bayer classified Tesla as a car dealer which they very strictly do not allow. They were apparently also not receptive to a pop-up informational showroom.

@WayneMa, thanks for the info. BTW, my brother told me last night that he'd seen a black S in English Village.

Glad to hear they're putting a SuperCharger in Birmingham... We got delivery of our Model X in Atlanta back in August. Picked it up in Marietta, fully charged it and drove back. By the time we got home to Mountain Brook, it was down to 9%!

We have a charger at home, but of course, it's not near the Amps that the superchargers are.

See ya out on the roads! There aren't many of us out there in BHM, yet!

Great news about the supercharger. Thanks Pipelines.

Was in Birmingham all last week and saw a grand total of one EV. A Leaf, with Georgia plates, at the Hampton Inn Mt Brook. I think that brings the grand total of EV's I've seen in Birmingham (besides my S) over numerous visits per year to one. Whats with people there?

We did use the bikeshare system quite a bit for getting around downtown. Scary drivers and very surprised by the lack of bikeways but the system itself worked fairly well. Electric bikes are more scooters than e-bikes though which was disappointing.
We're working on making the city more bike friendly, we're making progress but it's going to take time. People around here just aren't used to sharing the road with bikers, the culture is changing though!

There are both regular bikes and bikes with E assist, the bikes without the lightning bolt are the traditional non assist bikes.

We're working on making the city more bike friendly, we're making progress but it's going to take time. People around here just aren't used to sharing the road with bikers, the culture is changing though!
Good to hear. You'll never change the culture though. Hopefully that's not really your goal. Cars and bicycles are not compatible. One is slow, highly maneuverable, and vulnerable. The other is fast, not very maneuverable, and deadly. Attempted sharing just leads to conflict. Drivers, even in The Netherlands, get extremely frustrated when they have to share the road with bicycle riders. Protected bikeways are much safer for everyone and much less frustrating for everyone. Our 40 year long insistence on sharing (vehicular cycling or bicycle driving) is why we have the highest rate of bicycle fatalities (From: Bicycling: Relatively Safe)

image005.png

There are both regular bikes and bikes with E assist, the bikes without the lightning bolt are the traditional non assist bikes.
Thanks. We figured it out after a bit (and clunking our heads for not realizing it sooner) :) Great idea to have some e-bikes. BTW, those are not e-assist bikes, unless those we tried were all broken. E-assist provides proportional assistance to pedal input. All of the bikes we tried were really single-speed electric scooters. As long as the pedals were moving (5 RPM's or as fast as you can turn them) the motor ran at the same set speed (10 mph?).

All in all though very glad to see this and the supercharger in Birmingham.

Reactions: ohmman